News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC1211 Handset Question

Started by LarryInMichigan, January 04, 2012, 11:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I finally got an older style (curved) SC handset for my SC1211, but I have found that it does not sit so well in the cradle.  The handset bounces around on the plunger.  I had thought that these phones were originally equipped with the older handset.  Was there a change made to the plunger when SC switched to the next generation of handset?

Thank You

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I managed to improve the situation somewhat by sticking some self-stick felt pads in the cradle.  Now the handset is resting more on the felt than the plunger.

Here are pictures of the phone with the previous handset:

Larry

GG

Nice one; and that was one of the more unusual wall sets in US telephony history.

My speculations, and I have no data to support any of this, are:

IF the actual cradle molding is a separate molding from the main housing, then:  SC may have produced two subtly different cradle moldings: one to take the earlier style handset, one for the later style handset.  When a set came in for refurb, if a newer style handset was to be added, the cradle molding would be updated also. 

IF the cradle molding is part of the main housing molding, the possibility of two subtly different styles to accommodate the difference in handsets is still possible but less probable, because this would involve changing out the entire housing.

Another possibility is that the hookswitch return spring itself should be adjusted differently for the different handset styles.  I have never seen the innards of one of these or had a chance to examine one first-hand so I have no way of knowing if the hookswitch mechanism was designed to provide for that adjustment.

In any case, adding felt pads in there is probably a good idea just to reduce the probability of the bakelite getting chipped or cracked when hanging up the handset.  If I'm not mistaken that was the only purely bakelite cradle design in its era where the handset hung up vertically: WE using a metal cradle, AE, Kellogg, North, and various smaller manufacturers such as Connecticut Tel & Electric having their handsets hang up horizontally in a manner similar to English phones. 

LarryInMichigan

The cradle is a separate piece which is held to the shell with screws.  Kellogg made a similar design, model 9917.

Larry