News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 20-C Swing Arm mounted candlestick

Started by Sargeguy, March 30, 2015, 11:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Just purchased this off of eBay for 63+S&H.  I need the arm for my 20-A.  Now I need another arm for this one!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The phone arrived today and it appears to be the correct arm for a 20-A.  The 20-C is a little scratched up with some nickel flaking off, so I think I'll display the 20-A on it for now.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here are some pics of the 20-C.  My daughter got a kick out of playing train dispatcher
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

NorthernElectric

I'm assuming that the bar that runs parallel to the tube is the switch hook.  The catalog image you posted appears to be different in that respect.  On yours do you slide the headset onto it to hang it up?

Also, is that the receiver cord poking out the top (or in this case, side?) of the perch?
Cliff

Sargeguy

That is a 20-C, I am going to use the arm on this 20-A I purchased a while back:

The 20-C is a Railroad Apparatus and you are correct, the headset slides onto the hook and the receiver cords go through holes in the perch.  The 20-A is an office phone.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is a better picture of the hook:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

NorthernElectric

The last 2 photos bring to mind another couple of questions.  Are the hookswitch contacts sprung in the opposite direction from other candlesticks?  And is the hook pulled inwards by the contacts when off hook or is there an additional spring in there?
Cliff

Sargeguy

I haven't dismantled the 20-C but here is a picture of the internal parts of the 20-A:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

NorthernElectric

Cliff

Sargeguy

No problem, I finally located a reference in a catalog.  As I assumed, it is RR apparatus
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Well, I finally got one.  20-A

Dave

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

I'm finally starting to clean the candlestick up, and I'm not sure how the transmitter cup mounts to the knuckle.  One of the screw holes is threaded but the other two are not.  How does the cup attach to those two unthreaded holes?
Dave

rdelius

wds

Ok, so this knuckle was connected to the cup with one screw and two rivets, and someone removed the rivets.  So either I rivet the cup back, or I can thread the two holes, which sounds like the best solution. 

or just use a one piece transmitter cup.
Dave