News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Candlestick - Switchboard Operator Model?

Started by Phonegal, September 09, 2016, 05:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonegal

Hi to all. I recently acquired a Kellogg Candlestick phone outfitted with a switchboard plug (please see photo) and the perch appears to be fixed; it doesn't move up & down to clear the line or disengage a call. The perch is marked F97 on its side (see photo). The question becomes, is the fixed perch correct for this phone (as it helped facilitate a switchboard operator's job) or should it move up and down and my phone is defective. Also, is there a specific model number for this hookup? Thanks in advance.

A third possibility is that all Kellogg candlestick perches are fixed (at least in this model)?

poplar1

I don't think this was ever used by an operator. After all, she would need hands for the cords and talk/ring keys -- not for holding a receiver--  so would normally  be wearing a headset.

The part that holds the receiver is the hook. It  should move up automatically when the receiver is off the hook. The part that allows the transmitter to move up and down is called a perch or lug holder.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

It does look like the hook is fixed by something within. I think it is worth a look inside (of course).

I haven't looked up F97 as yet.

Jack

Phonegal

I guess that the simple explanation is that the perch/hook is jammed? True, I've never seen a model that is intentionally fixed.

But one other thing is worth mentioning, the actual opening in the phone's stem (go back to the photo) doesn't seem to have any space for the hook to move.

I guess more investigation is needed on this. And thanks for the response, Guys.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Phonegal on September 09, 2016, 08:11:46 PM
I guess that the simple explanation is that the perch/hook is jammed? True, I've never seen a model that is intentionally fixed.
But one other thing is worth mentioning, the actual opening in the phone's stem (go back to the photo) doesn't seem to have any space for the hook to move.
I guess more investigation is needed on this. And thanks for the response, Guys.

That's what I mean by "something within".

There were lots of microphones based on that model telephone but they usually had either no hook or just a PPT or some other configuration button where the hook should be. This one is perhaps purposely jammed (disabled) so that it goes off hook when plugged in.

I still haven't had a chance to search for the ID.

Jack

rdelius

I have seen other Kellogg sets.There is a ring with a rectanglar part that is inserted into the switchook opening to limit travel. Are there any contacts in the set?"

Phonegal

Hi, thanks for responding. That's a very significant comment that you've made. I do see something metallic in the top part of the opening but, at least from the outside, I can't pull it out because there's no way to grasp it (like a soda can pull tab ring). Is this easily accessible from within? And what, in your opinion was the purpose of this device in the first place- why would anyone create a fixed switchhook? Is this an easy fix if I remove the screw on the opposite side of the hook and disassemble the phone? I hesitate to open this phone because I'm afraid I might damage it. Do you have any reference sources (or pictures) of this kind of thing? Thanks again.

Phonegal

Hi Jack, Last week you had some thoughts on the jammed switchook I have. You thought that the switchook may have been intentionally jammed- would that piece of metal have been inserted from the outside? Would what's there at this point been the severed remains of something that was originally bigger? Best way to remove it?

Also, I have a WE 51AL (with a 2 AB Dial) with an issue I'm trying to diagnose. The phone receives a call though I can't be heard by the other party. The transmitter? Also, there is a proper dial tone (the dial turns very well and sounds great), but it doesn't seem to be 'holding' any numbers- always sounds the same as before you start dialing. Is the dial defective or in need of some type of internal adjustment? Your thoughts? Thanks.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner- I was dealing with a minor medical issue.