and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My New Redbar

Started by johnnyjt, June 25, 2013, 10:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyjt

Hi Guys

Just got a Redbar and it's in excellent condition but
how do I get a dial tone, dial out and receive calls?

JohnnyJT  8)

LarryInMichigan

That phone is a model 1050 which, according to the 1949 Kellogg catalogue, is for use with an external magneto box and does not include the condenser module.  You will at least need to get the condenser module, but I don't know if the wiring inside the phone is the same as for a model 1000.  Someone here might know.

Larry

dsk

Nice
If I have got it right, the 1000 series was quite universal.
You have the right dial, i guess. if not just disconnect the circular plug for testing, and strap no 2 and 4.

The missing capacitor block may be replaced by 2 capacitors. One ringer capacitor of 0.47-1 micro Farad. (between 3 and 5) and 1 for the voice circuit of 1 micro Farad between 1 and 3.  (no straps)

Connecting red and black to the line, and not using yellow and green (tape the unused ends) should solve it.  (Yes its odd colors but its std. Kellogg)  To get it ringing connect black and yellow, or slide the contact where the line comes in to the phone to the rear position. (Screw between black and yellow, to black.)

dsk

johnnyjt

Hi DSK

I was able to get a dial tone when I strapped 2 and 4 but I could
not get it to ring.   Anyway, what dial would be the correct one
so I can dial out? 

I did add the caps for voice 1 and 2 also ringer 3 and 5

Thanks

JohnnyJT   8)

LarryInMichigan

Look at the wiring diagram at link.  Your phone is probably wired like Fig. 2, but you need wiring like Fig. 1.  You will need condensers and a different induction coil module.  Steve Hilsz used to sell these for cheap.  I don't think that you will be able to make this phone work properly as it is since it was made for a LB configuration.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I just took a closer look at your picture and see that your induction coil is marked 113A, which is the correct one for CB operation, so you shouldn't need to replace it.  You do need the condensers though.  You will not be able to use a ringer without a condenser.

Larry

rdelius

Not all the chassis the coil and capacator plug in are the same.You can remove it from the chassis to look underneith to trace things

johnnyjt

Hi Guys

I got it dialing out and ringing on incoming. 
I noticed that the dial was plugged in wrong.
Also moved the slide contacts as pictured in
David posted link.

Thanks So Much

JohnnyJT  8)

oldphon

Try Steve Hilsz for the condenser module.
Jydsk@tds.net