News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Starting The Move To LED Lighting

Started by 19and41, February 17, 2016, 07:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

I got a single LED bulb to replace a opened hall light and it was so white and bright I thought i should start changing out the high output CFL's I use for security and workspace lighting.  I got a radial cylindrical "bulb" to replace the torchiere light that lights the Kitchen/ dining and living room.  I keep it on a timer for security.  The CFL has a sepia toned light in comparison to the white LED light. It is bright but doesn't have the straining glare the CFL has.  It has done well enough to try another.  This one will be for the hanging fixture in my work room.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/401036467880?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT    next some individual "bulbs" for the other fixtures around the home.  One other reason I try them one at a time, is that some give off RFI.  I can't have that with my old radios.  At least I have folks who do not care about this to give them to.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

NorthernElectric

I have tried LED bulbs to replace household lighting twice so far and the results have not been good.  The 1st has an LED 'filament' Edison bulb.  It hurt my eyes.  It is not currently in a socket anywhere in my house.  I also bought an LED bulb that looks like a soft white incandescent but that was rated for indoor/outdoor and put it in my sensor light outside.  It has a semi-opaque diffuser around it.  It is still there, but I have to be careful not to look in it's direction because it blinds me even though it says it's equivalent to 50W.  I'm not kidding; my vision was partially obscured by a green haze for 15 or 20 minutes after looking towards the light for a few seconds  to try and set the timer switch.  I have used LED flashlights/headlamps for years and they are great but more directional and I never shine them towards my eyes.

LEDs as a replacement for incandescent bulbs?  Maybe it's just me, but big thumbs down!  8)
Cliff

19and41

That's too bad.  Maybe an indirect form, such as a ceiling reflect might do better for you.  I'm wanting to get away from the CFL's for a similar reason, the connection between UV-B radiation and cataract formation, in addition to the RFI noise generated by them.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

There was one other consideration I forgot to mention.  For the lamp being used for security, it operates from 6 to 11.30 each weekday evening and when I am out on weekends.  I keep hearing reports about the catastrophic failures of the drivers for these CFL's.  I don't want that to happen.  The bulb doing that job was dark gray with a lot of it's interior coating burned off.  The LED runs no hotter than my skin temperature.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Buzby

I made the change from conventional bulbs in my security lights to LED bulbs in the middle of last year. The difference for me, apart from a noticeable drop in the electricity bill is that the light from the LEDs seemed to be brighter and more.....focused?

I've also replaced the CFL's in the basement. No waiting for the dingy gloom from those to brighten. It's a crisp bright white light from the flick of the switch.

compubit

I've replaced most of my lights with LEDs-my main reason was a color temperature similar to incandescent or halogen bulbs (vs.CF). Most of mine are indirect (have a shade or an opaque cover).

On a side note, I've seen some LED bulbs that are 120-240v bulbs, meaning, they work nearly anywhere in the world, as long as you have a compatible socket...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Babybearjs

the funny thing about LEDs is the low voltage bulbs are just as bright. I have also seen retrofit fixtures at good prices.... check out www.tmart.com and look through the flashlight and lightbulb category to see what I'm talking about. its going to be interesting to see what new homes look like if these fixtures catch on.... can you imagine walking into a room and not seeing any ceiling fixtures, yet the light switch on the wall turns on the lights....(recessed type LEDs) there is also CCFL kits available to make soffit lighting and other schemes.... fun technology.... where will it end???
John

Fabius

I've replaced the incandescent bulbs in my vintage stereo equipment with LED lighting. Big improvement. I replaced all of the kitchen lighting with LEDs and it also was a major improvement. I replaced the interior light on my Mazda Miata and at first it was too harsh but I've got where I am use to it and now I like the extra brightness, especially if I drop something and have to look for it. I just bought an interior LED kit for my Toyota Prius C.

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

19and41

The dome light in my extended cab is a 42 LED panel array on a cartridge type base.  That thing is bright enough to sit a paperback on the dashboard and read it easily.  They don't make one that big anymore, just  33 LED's in the display, although I imagine they still have the incandescents beat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231606677741?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
— Arthur C. Clarke

Greg G.

The new 36' buses we have in the fleet have an overhead LED light in the driver's area that consists of several small led's in a disk.  It is so bright that I put a paper towel over it and secure it with a rubber band to soften the light.  So you could say I was "blinded by the light, wrapped it up like a douche with one another in the night."  ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJh47LybCkU
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

The recently replaced "Venture" buses here (Optare Solo buses mostly) have replaced fluorescent lights with LED strips, it's an odd light, but very even and bright, it'd be nice if they updated the seats to something less back-breaking though (having my spine at 90 degrees to my pelvis ain't comfy!)... ;D

As for other LEDs, as I've mentioned before, I've got a number of LED filament bulbs, and in the living room is a candlebulb shaped LED lamp in the ceiling light, and I'm planning to replace the fluorescent tube in the kitchen with a LED replacement tube... :)

19and41

I know there is a bit of a light pulse with 60 Hz mains, how do the LED's look with 50 Hz power?
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

To be honest the AC to DC rectification eliminates most, if not all, of the AC flicker, so 50 or 60Hz is not really an issue... :)

My "Lantern" LED filament bulb was terrible though as it lacked a smoothing capacitor so had a bad AC flicker, but I modified it with a capacitor and it work nice, still has a bit of a flicker but not as bad as when I first got it...

Coupe vids of the "lantern" bulb:

Original state (& my blue bulb) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKjE3EYRsMA
Modified with a capacitor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O39XFuHxAGg

19and41

Your camera really shows the difference in the flicker.  That is an excellent remedy.  I know there are people who are made ill by such flicker and in some it can trigger epileptic episodes.  My white LED's do not flicker much, But my Christmas light strings flicker like an analog TV raster.   ;D
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Yes, the flicker can trigger epileptic seizures in some people (and it runs in my family so I have to be careful as a "just incase" thing), but the fix to be honest wasn't much of a "fix" really, as it is just basic AC to DC rectification, they just forgot the capacitor, and I had that one floating round from a dead CFL so stuck it in there 'cos I could... ;D

Cameras are excellent tools for detecting AC flicker though, as with the shutter speed set fast enough, they can scan across the image sensor fast enough to see the waveform of the AC power changing which as you saw in my video is depicted as distinct bands of darkness and light, the more pronounced the difference, the worse the rectification and the more a capacitor for smoothing the DC side is needed... :)