News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Save the BOOKS!"

Started by paul-f, February 12, 2019, 06:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

This photo turned up with an internet search for telephone book.  Not quite what I had in mind! It's "art" made by folding and cutting the pages of a book.

Remembering the fate of many early phones that were turned into lamps, as a book collector it horrified me to learn the same fate may await countless paper books, as folks move to reading on electronic devices.

This is not an isolated case. Etsy currently has over 17,000 more examples. An internet search for "book folding art" produces many more.
https://www.etsy.com/market/folded_book_art
( dead link 03-04-22 )
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

FABphones

Whatever next.  :o
That's not nice.  :(
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

What a shame. Calling that "ART" is very questionable. Destroying anything for the sake of "ART" is a waste as far as I am concernned.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Russ Kirk

What a shame......

Destroying books, either by shredding or fire does not feel right.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

RotarDad

I'm with you guys.  Time to get your copy of Fahrenheit 451 before they all get turned into art......
Paul

Key2871

It seems to me that the almighty dollar is what is driving people to do anything for it. Changing classic phone's into book ends or lamps, or books into something they call art.
People are bored, hard up for money, but don't want to go out and earn an honest living. So they find an old item kicking around and say, hey I just saw one of these turned into... And it sold for real money... Hey I can do that too.
My kids Like watching these rich kids make nothing short of stupid videos and posting them looking for subscribers to earn Penny's... Don't get me wrong, there are some very informative or interesting video's on YouTube. It's just those looking for the money for stupid or crude video's that turn my stomach.
KEN

Dan/Panther

The moron that did that probably can't read anyhow.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

FABphones

Quote from: 19and41 on February 14, 2019, 03:36:28 PM
Bad things can happen when you leave them alone, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbTz7EZFs7s

Poor books.  :(

One of my favourite Authors, stories, and films. And I've never been able to definitively answer the question *'Which three books would you have taken'?

*At the end of HG Wells "The Time Machine", the housekeeper notices three books are missing. The Time Traveller has taken three books with him to the future, to rebuild civilisation.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kDYXNGKw-90

AT2796

Terrible waste...
To answer the "which three" question...
If I didn't wake up tomorrow, I would hope I could bring Moby Dick, Homer's Iliad and my little brothers bible.
If I make it a few more days, the first 2 may change with my mood!
Andy

FABphones

Quote from: AT2796 on February 14, 2019, 10:42:02 PM
Terrible waste...
To answer the "which three" question...
If I didn't wake up tomorrow, I would hope I could bring Moby Dick, Homer's Iliad and my little brothers bible.
If I make it a few more days, the first 2 may change with my mood!

Your choices certainly predate the story.

I have added a photo and an additional clip from the film.

('The Time Machine' was written by HG Wells in 1895. The original film from which the screenshots/clips were extracted, was made in 1960).

Key2871

I remember when I was much younger, that computers were going to replace books and minimize paperwork. But strangely neither have happened, if anything paper work or the use for paper has increased, many time's.
KEN

Doug Rose

I read a book a week. I tried the Nook, but like a heavy old telephone...I like a real book....Doug  ;D
Kidphone

HarrySmith

i agree Doug. I read a lot, no where near a book a week but several a year. I tried a tablet but it's just not the same. I have found there are not a lot of people who do read anymore. After I finish a book my wife usually reads it and when we are done I try to pass it on. The last book I read I brought to work figuring I would give it to a co-worker but nobody wanted it! I ended up giving it to a customer who had a bumper sticker on her car that read "I Like Old Books".
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

I have never seen a movie that was as good as the book. I have a long commute in and out of Boston, a book and my IPAD keep me sane, or as as sane as I can be.  Passes the time. Not much into TV shows, so I always read an hour or so before bed. Love the library...save a lot of $$....Doug
Kidphone