News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

One Of My Oldest Friends At Work

Started by 19and41, November 03, 2017, 02:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

About 2 years after I started working here, I was coming back from working out at various train/bus stationsw, and This little fellows' mom brought him and his 2 brothers behind our shop to play.  I tried to call him in close, but he would just hiss at me.  He was about 8 inches long, and a riot to see doing that.  I got them each a little can of cat food and I then started feeding them.  1 went off to seek his fame and fortune, and the one pictured, tiny as he was, would hiss at me and growl and walk backwards in front of me thinking he was having to "get" me to get his food.  I'd feed him and his little brother.  The little one went his own way later.  This one has stayed on and he will stand watch nearby while I do my walks on my breaks.  He was fixed a number of years ago and doesn't growl nor hiss these days.  Mr. Cat.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

RB

19and41

Just went on my walk, he was right on it.

— Arthur C. Clarke

jsowers

Right on it? It looks like he's snoozing after a long, busy Halloween night.

The place I used to work at was next to the local pound for many years. People would drive up and, maybe because the pound happened to be closed, or for whatever shameful reason, they would just let the animal off in our parking lot. Like it could find the pound by itself. So we had our share of strays over the years and a lot of them went home with the employees and sometimes we just called the pound. Once we even had a scared kitten hide in a crevice under the van hood and it wasn't easy to get it out.

Eventually the pound moved to a different location and the strays stopped showing up, but people would still drive up into the parking lot asking where the pound was and we would have to give them directions.
Jonathan

19and41

He's just conserving his night vision.    ;D
— Arthur C. Clarke

AE_Collector

I'm sure everyone has heard of someone who has a cat or maybe a dog that lives at their work location. Some work scenarios make more sense than others to have a mascot. We had a CO cat! He lived in the local CO. Just showed up one day and didn't leave so the CO employees used the coffee fund to provide for him and he spent the rest of his life patrolling the aisleways first of an AE #1 EAX, then a GTD5 was added and then the 5 was expanded to remove the #1.

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

Cute cat! Reminds me of a cat I used to have.

Where I work, we don't have any stray animals that stick around, but we do have wild animals that wander into the building. Our building is surrounded on 3 sides by 10 or more acres of woods and swampland, so we get all kind of creatures!

During the Summer months, when the garage doors are wide open, we have our share of mice, rats, squirrels, chipmunks, opossums, racoons, and even birds, that find their way through the garage doors. I have personally seen a chipmunk running around the building in a trance, and he finally found a temporary home under an air filtration unit. I suspect (hope) he made it out okay! I also found a dead Dragonfly on the floor that was probably 4 inches long, as well as a barely-alive moth that was about 3 inches wide!

Mice usually aren't fortunate enough to make it out alive if they try to explore. One time, a guy I know brought a King Size Hershey's bar to work as a snack. When break time came, he walked over to the table he had left it on, only to find that the bar was propped upright, and a mouse was standing behind it, holding onto both sides, nibbling on the top edge! ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jsowers

We adopted a stray cat at my office once. I worked in IT for the same school system for 30 years, since the dawn of the personal computer. We had moved to a different location (a mile from the pound) in 2001, inside a older school. This orange and white tabby showed up on our doorstep and we fed it and it wanted to come inside, so we let it. He would sleep on the conference room chairs and almost disappear during the day. Every now and then he would visit people in the office and sleep in their chairs too. No matter how much excitement was going on, this cat just snoozed away.

One of our techs took his picture once and I still have it. That's a really old Mac there in the picture, which is from 2002. The cat's name was Crackers. We had to leave him outside at night, inside our fenced gates, but he could easily get under the gates. We think a dog chased him into a drainpipe behind the gym and he got stuck and died. Poor Crackers!

We also had our share of mice and termites. The termites had eaten part of the floor under my office and our main entrance and made the cafeteria floor fall in, in one spot. So all that flooring had to be replaced before we could move in. Then one day they sprayed for termites and they literally came out of the woodwork into the hallway and creeped us all out.
Jonathan

19and41

We have some other little critters here.  They show up when the last light is out as the sun sets.  If you stand still you can see them start to fly out from their hangouts.  Little bats about 4 inches long.  One will come over where I stand and go through aerobatics that would rival a martin or a swallow.  they are really interesting, too.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Old Mr. Cat and the bats are still around at work.  Now at home, there is a growing bunch of cats that work the neighborhood houses.  Those poor things look rough.  I have seen each grow up from kittens.  I have 1 each that stays under the car and truck in the shade.
— Arthur C. Clarke