News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lampitis strikes - Super Aladdin (Model 14?) hanging lamp...

Started by twocvbloke, February 06, 2017, 12:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 01, 2017, 06:33:16 PM
Ah...  ;D

Ah, yes, but, ah, no. I have no interest in that lamp even if it were $20. Took and posted the photos for twocv's look see, eye candy to Aladdin lamp collectors, and/or users.

I go in for the easily portable lanterns, multi-functional lanterns.

Christian might, he knows the mall where it's located and yes, the seller could probably be talked down to $150-$175 if it just collects dust for months. One thing going for that is being electric, another electric lamp is just that and only a Aladdin collector would know its value and know the cost of converting it back into a work lamp. Working lamp reasonable price less cost of missing parts is what it's worth.

There are some very old, very nice turn of the century homes that would have a place for this lamp. Other than that, it will hang there for awhile, or until Christian dickers the dealer down to something reasonable.   ;)

twocvbloke

I'd say an Aladdin lamp is multi-functional, it lights, it heats, and if you're careful with the use of a non-pan frying stick, you could probably cook a steak over one... ;D

twocvbloke

Well, got the new-old chimney today, no box, but then it was in poor condition so I don't mind, gave it a wash and fitted it to the Super Aladdin, looks good on there and sits up straight unlike the heelless... :)

Didn't hang it up as I'd have to light it (again), and it's already quite unbearably warm in this room right now (my IP Camera server's ATI graphics card is really churning out the heat, despite not really doing anything, I hate ATI cards for that!!), so it'll go back on my shelf 'til the colder months return... :)

Oh, and Peggy (the new cat, dunno if I've mentioned her before or not!) helped, by sniffing everything to make sure it wasn't edible or a toy... ;D

AL_as_needed

Good to know even the harshest of critics (cats) approve after very close inspection.

Looks good as a table top lamp but looking forward to colder weather when it can hang and be alight with purpose. 
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Yeah, the darker months are fast approaching so this lamp will soon get hung up and used with purpose, just need to stock up on fuel for it... :)

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on August 01, 2017, 02:53:54 PM
First, the glass chimney only has the word "Aladdin" on it.

Now, here are the inside images and both sides of the sales tag. He was only asking $245.

Second image shows how the lamp cord is fed into the lantern. Seems no protection from rubbing through and electrifying the entire lantern.

Still hanging there but had a chance to grab an image of the wick adjuster and it is a  true Aladdin, same price, not going anywhere for another year.

twocvbloke

Still far too pricey for what it is, if it was perfect, new-in-box and never used complete with all original parts in the box, maybe, but, as is, nah... ;D

AL_as_needed

Its the common issue at "antique" stores, anything old suddenly has incredible value.
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Which is annoying as the same issue spread over to ebay about a decade ago, every old bit of tat on there "has value", especially when it doesn't...  ;D

TelePlay

Quote from: AL_as_needed on January 19, 2018, 02:02:09 PM
Its the common issue at "antique" stores, anything old suddenly has incredible value.

I've had that discussion with more than a few mall owners when they asked me, as I was leaving, if I found anything of interest.

My reply was "yes, but way above my choke point, no where near the true value of the item."

They all agreed knowing their vendors put NOS prices of junk and expect it to sell but it sits there for years. They know bu they don't care because they get booth rental, not commission. Seller put restored eBay prices on barn fresh items, at least in the phone/lantern/radio categories.

I suppose, if I wanted the Aladdin lamp, I could ask the mall owners to make an offer to the seller, which they have done for me in the past on other stuff. Seller's I think are more open to a low ball offer after an items hangs in their booth for 3 or more years.

Babybearjs

Aladdin is always expensive... I was in a hardware store in Corvallis Oregon years ago, and they sold them new... and if you ever need glass...and shades... you're going to pay a premium...
John

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 19, 2018, 08:08:55 PM
Aladdin is always expensive... I was in a hardware store in Corvallis Oregon years ago, and they sold them new... and if you ever need glass...and shades... you're going to pay a premium...

Well that could be argued as "you get what you pay for." Dietz lanterns were also rather pricey for their time within the larger lantern market. That being said, you see what has survived all those years so the quality end speaks for itself on some types of items. That doesn't mean that one is worth hundreds of dollars today of course unless its a super rare version. Even then, something is only worth what people are willing to pay.
TWinbrook7

TelePlay

Quote from: AL_as_needed on January 21, 2018, 04:34:37 PM
Well that could be argued as "you get what you pay for." Dietz lanterns were also rather pricey for their time within the larger lantern market.

The standard tin plated steel Dietz No 2 DeLite was the "Cadillac" of lanterns back in the day. People paid a premium from them over other lanterns. That's why I only collected those, they stood up to time, in most cases, better than other lanterns I've seen on shelves in antique malls.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: TelePlay on January 21, 2018, 04:41:50 PM
The standard tin plated steel Dietz No 2 DeLite was the "Cadillac" of lanterns back in the day. People paid a premium from them over other lanterns. That's why I only collected those, they stood up to time, in most cases, better than other lanterns I've seen on shelves in antique malls.

Thinking about it, that did make for some irony all these years later. Being the better product, more Dietz lanterns/lamps survived the last 100 years and in a way that made them common now. By comparison, the "cheap imitations" that survived (like Embury that was bought out by Dietz) now can command a bit of a premium being fewer in number. I have to say my rusty little wizzard from '39 still burns the best despite having the snot beat out of it over the years.

TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Given that my Super Aladdin dates from around the 30s, and still works (despite some issues with cracked parts and slightly uneven burning issues still), it's a testament to the design, I can't imagine something made today still working in 80 years time... :)