"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 83: 1965 Bell System Picturephone

Started by AE_Collector, January 28, 2013, 12:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: unbeldi on January 29, 2013, 02:47:06 AM
If I had spent 10K or 15K or whatever for it, I would have great reservations to turn it on even, until I have run or supervised all basic electronic safeguards and checks to reduce the risk of destruction of vital parts upon power-up. How long has it been that it was powered?  You have to check power supplies individually before powering the functional units up and diagnose each unit if possible. There seems to be enough documentation to make this safe perhaps. And in the end it's still a risky situation. The anode on the tube probably carries 30,000 Volts, and the dare-devil to turn it on better make sure all insulation is still good and not brittle or broken.

Yes, of course that is the case. Capacitors tend to go bad in vintage equipment, and if anyone buys it and expects it to work, without doing basic work on it to replace capacitors, they are nuts! Any selenium rectifiers in it will need to be replaced with silicone devices. Anyone who has worked with vintage devices knows that. It isn't the newbie who is going to fork out the money for an item like this.

But, the fact is, it is a truly historic piece, and there were very few made - in addition to that, this one has all its accessories, documents, packing cases, etc. which make it even rarer, and had had very little use since it was made. It is darn near mint. Which makes it very valuable. After all, there were only less than a dozen made, most separated from their power supplies and accompanying telephone.

It is a true gem and will make someone very happy - whether they buy it to display working or not.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

wds

I noticed the lisitng price has changed.  I think makes Kleenax the winner?  Should we start over?
Dave

AE_Collector

The original start price? Don't think that matters but Ray did guess $0 based on $5000 start price so since the start price dropped Ray gets to guess again. Anyone can change their bid up to the 24 hour cutoff point.

Terry

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 29, 2013, 11:16:16 AM
Anyone can change their bid up to the 24 hour cutoff point.

Terry
Oh, are you going to be busy when it strikes 25 hours before the end of the auction, as everyone adjusts their bid! :-)

This is going to be an interesting one! Best of luck, Maureen, bidders, and predictors!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I'll say $20,313, though given it's rarity, it could go much higher, but for now I'm guessing that.... :D

kleenax

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 29, 2013, 11:08:05 AM
I added your new $5969.00 guess Ray. Changes are okay up to the 24 hours Togo Point and with this auction, there may be a few changes!

Terry

Thanks sir!  ;)
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

MagicMo

Quote from: Dan on January 28, 2013, 10:22:18 PM
I am gonna say  no bids also. so mine will be zero, although that was taken. I would have see your reserve at $10000 or what ever you wanted, and then set the starting bid at $9.99.

I listened to your post and changed the starting bid last night. Thank you for the insight, it certainly proved to be true. It's hard to see things from the other side of the Auction when you think your item is super valuable. So now that I changed the starting price you can change your guess. I'm interested in what you think.
Thanks! Mo
Practice Kindness :)

kleenax

Quote from: MagicMo on January 29, 2013, 07:14:10 PM
Quote from: Dan on January 28, 2013, 10:22:18 PM
I am gonna say  no bids also. so mine will be zero, although that was taken. I would have see your reserve at $10000 or what ever you wanted, and then set the starting bid at $9.99.

I listened to your post and changed the starting bid last night. Thank you for the insight, it certainly proved to be true. It's hard to see things from the other side of the Auction when you think your item is super valuable. So now that I changed the starting price you can change your guess. I'm interested in what you think.
Thanks! Mo

Excellent!

I don't know what the psychological barrier is to a HIGH starting bid, but you can see what it does when it starts with a low bid ;-)

You will be very happy with your end result, and I am happy to say that I was wrong on this one  ;D
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

TelePlay

I thought I'd be high but seeing what's going on this early, can I change my guess to two zillion?  ::)

AE_Collector

Not until I figure out how many zero's there are in ONE Zillion. Once I know that I can do the math to get TWO Zillion!

Terry

George Knighton

Considering where the bidding is going, I cannot help wondering whether MagicMo might be better off talking to a museum about taking this, and taking a few years worth of tax deductions against the contribution.

I'm new to this and had absolutely no idea it was going to go this direction. 
Annoying new poster.

G-Man

What would a certified appraiser have valued it at; $1,500, $2,200 or more?

It would have been a crap-shoot as to whether one of the supposed experts would have made the right call.

Look at the disparity of guesses that were given in this thread as to what the final price would be.

Plus, that should be a conversation she should have only with her C.P.A. since the current tax situation is so convoluted. 

DavePEI

Quote from: George Knighton on January 30, 2013, 09:21:53 AM
Considering where the bidding is going, I cannot help wondering whether MagicMo might be better off talking to a museum about taking this, and taking a few years worth of tax deductions against the contribution.

I'm new to this and had absolutely no idea it was going to go this direction. 
Problem is, not all museums can offer tax receipts. I feel she is doing the right thing for her family. Until the auction is over, a true established value for the Picturephone won't be known. It has exceeded most people's expectations, well over mine. Cheers for Maureen!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

For the record $9396.54 with 4 days and 8 hours to go. 14 bids from only 5 different bidders so far.

Terry