News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

new guy looking for help w/ ae90

Started by whipsaw, July 06, 2011, 01:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whipsaw

i recently acquired an ae90 rotary black wall phone in good condition. but for the life of me cant get it hooked up and get a dial tone. i have spent approx 2 hrs trying many combinations w/ the 4 phone wires to the phone terminals.
pic of the phone here. hope it works. thanks in advance. :>)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/odoherty1/starlite2.jpg?t=1309974691

Kenny C

Gee I wish I could help, but I'm a Western Electric not an AE. I think there is a jumper wire for this set from one terminal to another.

If you have a 4 conductor line cord you only need red and green. Black and yellow can either be cut or taped off. But thats all I've got.

Welcome to the forum!
Kenny C.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

whipsaw

thanks i appreciate any help. attached another pic. circuit board #s side of phone left to right
9 21 13? 10 16 8 6
top of phone left to right 1 2 23 13 4 5 11

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/odoherty1/starlite1.jpg

paul-f

Welcome to the forum!

Start by finding the appropriate wiring diagram for your phone in the TCI Library.  Searching for AE90 gives:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=search_result&Itemid=11

There are several choices -- perhaps this one matches your phone:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=1872&Itemid=11

The dashed lines marked tip and ring are the two wires that attach to your phone service.

If hooking them up according to the drawing doesn't give you a dial tone, check the rest of the wiring to make sure someone hasn't moved things around over the years.

Ask questions if you get stumped or if the wiring checks out and you still don't have a dial tone.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

whipsaw

thanks much i appreciate your help :>)

whipsaw

Paul good call on the wiring diagram that's mine. i followed all the connections and they look correct. my phone line has only 2 wires hook up a red and green which i hooked to tip and ring with no dial tone. ?#1 on the diagram there are 3 connections grd, ring , and tip. would you know the colors of these? ?#2 do i need to hook up a 3rd wire to my phone lines? thanks

HarrySmith

IIRC the red & green line wires got to terminals 8 & 10. No need for the third wire.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

whipsaw

update   found blk wire from capacitor hooked to #8. remove and hooked to #9 as shown in diagram. hooked grn phone line to 8 and red to 10 still no tone but if i call our number and pick up hand set i cant hear anything but phone stops ringing in the house. checked continuity of 4 lines in handset and they are all good. stupped and going to take a break...:>(

paul-f

Not to thoroughly confuse you, but the ringer wire is actually proper on terminal 8. 

Since the drawing was made, the US went from using 3 conductors on the line cord to only 2 -- marked TIP and RING.  To complete the ringer circuit with the 2-wire plan, the lines marked TIP and GRD muat be combined.  This can be done at the far end of the line cord, or more simply, by just moving the black ringer wire from terminal 9 to 8.

In any case, by taking the ringer out of the circuit, you've verified that the problem causing the remaining symptoms is not in the ringer or capacitor.

The next step is to verify that the wiring is correct on the rest of the phone.

While you're doing that, check the back of the dial to see if the contacts hooked to the red, white and blue wires are open when the dial is at rest and closed when dialing.  If they are closed at rest, slip a piece of paper between each of the 2 gaps and see if you get a dial tone.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

whipsaw

"While you're doing that, check the back of the dial to see if the contacts hooked to the red, white and blue wires are open when the dial is at rest and closed when dialing.  If they are closed at rest, slip a piece of paper between each of the 2 gaps and see if you get a dial tone."

re re checked all wiring, good to go. the red, white and blue wires are open when the dial is at rest and close when dialing. cleaned contacts. no tone yet.

whipsaw

good morning to all. today I'm going to completely disassemble and reassemble the phone. maybe by doing this i will fine a bad connection or some thing. ill let you know how it goes.  :>)

whipsaw

i now have the cleanest non working phone there is :>). after a complete disassemble,cleaning, and reassembly the phone is hooked up, RINGS but when you answer it nothing, no sound. do you guys think i have a bad hand set? i have tested continuity of the 4 lines in the hand set, no breaks.

Dennis Markham

It's possible that the receiver element is bad, if not some other handset related problem.  

When you dial a number, like your cell phone, does the cell ring?  Does the AE 90 transmit?  Sometimes if those things are happening it will be a problem within the handset.

whipsaw

great idea. i tried to dial out to my cell but nothing :>(

HarrySmith

When it is off hook is your line be busy to another call? Is there any other phones on the line?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"