Help with 302 ringing

Started by Nilsog, July 14, 2011, 07:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Nilsog

Just tried the magnet... and they're steel. I guess the mystery has been solved. Well, all but whatever that capacitor thing is, i guess.
Ken

HarrySmith

That appears to be some kind of capacitor. I am not familiar with that in a phone. Try disconnecting it, looks like there are only 2 wires.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Nilsog

The phone did not ring at all after disconnecting it.

Also, how do I fix the party line issue?
Ken

LarryInMichigan

I think that it is a tube which served to restrict ringing on party lines.  You may be able to bypass it, but the ringer will need to be connected through the capacitor.  Is one wire from the ringer connected to a lead from the capacitor?

Larry

Nilsog

Yes, i believe one of the capacitor wires is connected to the same screw the black (ground?) wire from the ringer is.
Ken

Kenny C

Where is your black ringer wire wired? Try disconnecting it and checking your wiring it should be as follows..

Line in:
Red-L1
Green-L2

Handset Cord:
Red-R
Black-BK on dial
White- W on dial

Ringer:
Red-L1
Black-K

Condenser:
Red-C
Black- BK on dial
Slate-K
Yellow- Y

Switch
Brown-Blue- BB on dial
Yellow-brown-Y on dial
Green-GN
Yellow- Y

Note: there is a jumper from L1-R on dial
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Nilsog

That all seems right. The black ringer wire is on K, as well as one of the capacitor wires. The other capacitor wire is on Y.

EDIT: Oh, is R the (looking at the back of the dial) the furthermost right terminal? Thats where the wire from L1 goes.
Ken

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Nilsog

So how can I bypass this capacitor thing? Run a jumper between the terminals it was connected to?
Ken

Kenny C

I would just take it out if it were my phone.

I'm not sure on how to bypass it.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Nilsog

Only problem with that is the phone stops ringing...
Ken

Kenny C

It is wired like I posted and still wont ring?? That's odd. That is the wiring for an average 302 and with that thing removed it should work as an average 302.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Nilsog

Ok... maybe I was confused. I guess I should ask first, what part is the condenser. I assumed it was the thing that was under the irregular capacitor. Was i wrong? If it is, there are only two wires coming out of it, red to C and black to BK.
Ken

Nilsog

I also just noticed you have a yellow wire on GND. I do not.
Ken