News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone exchange name on a sticker

Started by old_stuff_hound, August 01, 2021, 09:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_stuff_hound

Howdy! I have not checked in here in a very long time but I thought this was cool.

A friend gave me an old Briggs & Stratton engine to play with. By the date code, it's a 1978 but looks much older. On the fuel tank is a sticker from the selling power equipment dealer. As you can see it lists the phone number as "ROgers 9-6400"

I don't recall ever hearing anyone use an exchange name in the late 1970s. Maybe it was a regional thing. Or maybe he'd had a ton of stickers made decades prior and hadn't used them up yet. Regardless, I thought it was interesting enough to share!

EDIT: Found some photos of the company's building here: http://hudsonvalleyruins.org/yasinsac/pville/pierce.html

MMikeJBenN27

Some businesses that had not had their phone # changed still used the exchange name.

Mike

LarryInMichigan

It is not uncommon for small businesses to take many years to use up a lot of stickers, invoice forms, etc..  Even if they sticker was applied around 1978, it might have been printed many years earlier.  I remember as a child in the Chicago suburbs in the 1970s seeing phone local numbers in the phone book and elsewhere shown as "YO5-" or "YOrktown5-" instead of "965-".  Some numbers were shown one way and other the other way.

Larry

MMikeJBenN27

Here in San Francisco too, until about the late 70s.