News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Receiver Cap Information

Started by Desert Phone Guy, July 10, 2019, 05:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Phone Guy

I recently obtained a Western Electric 50AL desk stand (candlestick).  It appeared unmolested, with cloth cords, no repainting, and early patent dates on the base, the last date being 1918.

The receiver looked like a typical 144, but when I looked closer, the cap is a bit different.  The thickness of the cap is thinner and there are 4 divots on the part of the cap that goes to the ear.  I compared it to another 144 cap that I have, and have provided photos for comparison.  Both caps have the same 1370 number on the inside.

Does anyone have information regarding the cap with the divots?

Thanks

Steve

Jim Stettler

I think the divot cap is for airflow to the ear . It is probably intended where you have a lot  long calls,
Just a guess
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

I recall reading something a while back on the lists I think. It was stated that the "legs" were to allow the sound of a howler to be heard if somebody put it down on a table without releasing the line. My mind is not the steel trap it used to be, more like a sieve these days, but I am 99% sure that was what was said by people a lot more knowledgable than I.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Steve...I have a lot these pass through my hands and I have never seen anything like it...it should be a keeper...Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 10, 2019, 06:09:24 PM
It was stated that the "legs" were to allow the sound of a howler to be heard if somebody put it down on a table without releasing the line.
That is a reasonable purpose.
You live, You learn,

RB

Harry, or anybody.
Was this howler a sound sent by CO to the extension to try to get their attention?
Or an alert they wanted the operators to hear while they were yackin on the phone?

Jim Stettler

It is a loud sound to alert the subscriber that they left the phone off hook.
You live, You learn,

HarrySmith

Sent from the CO. If you have a landline you can still hear one, just leave the handset on the desk for a few minutes and you will get one.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tubaman

The GPO Bell receiver caps had a small single divot for the exact same purpose of hearing the howler, so such an explanation seems very plausible.
The one you have is rather nice, but I'm not sure how comfortable it would be on the ear for any length of time.
:)

Looking more closely, are you sure its not been hand ground, as the 'corners' between the divots don't appear of equal size in the photo?

Desert Phone Guy

They appear to be the same to me, looking at them under my shop light.   The fact that the wall thickness of the divot cap is thinner than the thickness of the standard cap makes me think that this is a factory piece.

Here is a similar one made by Northern Electric.

paul-f

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 10, 2019, 09:17:07 PM
Sent from the CO. If you have a landline you can still hear one, just leave the handset on the desk for a few minutes and you will get one.
Someone thoughtfully put 12 hours of the tone on YouTube for our listening enjoyment. Perfect to play in the bedroom to assure a night of sound sleep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KQwgd-cQQc
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Key2871

Lol, I could think of way more things to go to sleep on but 12 hours of howler?.. Naa
KEN