News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Line cord for 500.

Started by Stephen Furley, March 15, 2009, 07:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

I'm looking forward to seeing your 302 WE and 300 series GPO phone comparison.  My 706 which I bought herewhileback, as my Arkansas inlaws like to say, has been a fun phone to have on the desk and use.  It's got a very different kind of character than a WE 500, which is my main collectable. 

Stephen Furley

Quote from: Sargeguy on June 20, 2009, 12:29:30 AM
I would love a copy of the .pdf describing the different plugs and jacks.

I've e-mailed you a copy; maybe somebody could get it put in the technical library section of this site.

Stephen Furley

Quote from: HobieSport on March 28, 2009, 01:48:37 PM

Stephen, If you are interested in getting an AE40, or a WE302 in better condition than yours, I have several, and would be quite willing to send you pictures and descriptions of the ones that I am willing to part with, and sell you an un-refurbished one at my cost (about $30.)  Too bad though about the high cost of shipping "across the pond".  I couldn't cover that cost.

Or maybe you have a British or other European phone that you might like to trade?  My only European phones so far are a Dutch PTT and two Swiss Albiswerk phones.  My preferences are black phones from the late 1930s to 1950s but will consider phones from the 1960s.  I'd love to get an older Siemens-Halske someday but they are expensive.

Anyway, watch the Virtual Gallery thread here in a week or so when I plan to post pictures of all my phones. :)

-Matt

I'm sorry I didn't reply to you; I must have missed the original post, and only saw it when I returned to this thread to see if anybody had replied to the post I added a couple of days ago.

I've now got two metal-bodied 302s, including the mud filled wreck which may one day get cosmetically restored; i think that's enough of that type.  I don't have a plastic-bodied one, and might be interested in adding one to the collection.  I certainly want an AE 40, but as you say, the postage is expensive; these old 'phones tend to be heavy.  I think buying one from you, and then paying the postage on it, and then the tax when it gets to Customs would probably work out at just about the same cost as buying the one which Telephone Lines have in their shop, if they've still got it after next pay day.  There are quite a few 500s over here, but the older American 'phones tend to be rare, and expensive.  I don't think I've ever seen a 302 on sale here, other than a modern electronic reproduction, which is sometimes seen in electrical shops, so if you've got a plastic-bodied 302 that you want to sell, I might be interested.

I may be in the NY/NJ area for a few days towards the end of the year; does anybody know of any shops in NYC/Jersey City/Hoboken area that sell telephones at reasonable prices?

I could send you a 706 or 746 if you want one, it would be assembled from parts, and so wouldn't all be the same date, but that would usually be the case anyway; they were heavily overhauled/refurbished by the GPO in their day.  You could have one for the cost of the postage if you want it.

Stephen Furley

I'm now the proud owner of an AE 40, in rather nice condition, but it too needs a new line cord.  Would the same brown cloth type be appropriate for this, or does it need something different?

Dan/Panther

By no stretch have I seen it all, but I don't recall an AE40 with a clothe cord.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Stephen Furley

Dan,

So what would be the appropriate type of line cord for an AE 40?  This is the only one I've ever seen, and Im sure the thin, flat black plastic one with a BT type plug on the end isn't correct!  I want to get something as close as possible to what it would have had when new.

BDM

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 24, 2009, 01:58:34 PM
By no stretch have I seen it all, but I don't recall an AE40 with a clothe cord.
D/P

Seen it many times. Brown or charcoal black are the proper colors for black AE40 sets.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI