News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Original Or Reproduction? 50/51 AL Candlestick phone.

Started by ChristmasGuy, February 06, 2019, 08:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChristmasGuy

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here could help me determine if this is indeed an original Candlestick phone with a 51AL base and 50AL Mouth Piece/Mic, or a reproduction. I was looking at the internals and it has an old wire dating from 1914 but anyone could have changed it out, also I don't believe the 51AL was invented that early. Also the screw hole where the pole that connects the base-plate and the cover with cloth is, is much longer than the other ones that I've seen, it also doesn't have that rounded edge. This phone also has a weird Silver looking metal square box thing on the side that I have no idea what it is, I haven't seen another phone with it, but its held on not through the shell but with an attachment holding on to the screw terminals. Any help provided is always appreciated! :D I also have more phones. Feel free to message me, would love to chat with y'all soon! P.S Images are provided, idk where they will be but I will post them here aswell. :D Have a wonderful day! ~JS
Jack Sidlauskas

ChristmasGuy

By the way I know I didn't post this in the right topic. I'm a newbie. Won't happen again.

Jack Sidlauskas

Welcome to CRPF.

We all make mistakes, No problem I'm sure one of the mods will fix it.

rdelius

Real thing not a reproduction.Looks like rebuilt or upgraded in 1930

Key2871

Welcome Jim. This is a great place to learn, and have fun doing it.

Ken
KEN

Sargeguy

Real, looks like it has been rewired.  That dial card looks like a repro.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

ChristmasGuy

It came with no cord for a ringer box, or even a ringer box, but I have a ringer box, but its connected to my 102. I'm trying to look for wire but not sure what to get. Im also going to make a post about my 102 lol
Jack Sidlauskas

robert_m

Also appears to me to be real, but rebuilt, but im not an exprt, many here (the mods) are great and know whay more thjin i ever would.  But based on pics does look authentic, not a repop.

Robert ATCA 4798

Sargeguy

The wiring harness was made from a cord that has rubber insulated wires/conductors. Authentic 51-AL wiring harnesses were cloth insulated. You can also disconnect/remove the filter if you wish.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

robert_m

I was not considering cords on my comment, as we all know they down grade, just so were clear i was comment on the housing itself, that appeared to be real to me...... :)  I myself bought repops / screwed over years and I'm generally getting more spectivtive on items I buy that are claimed to be be real / authentic, if I know going in it fake thats one think, being burned after fact is a pet peive of mine!  :-\

Wireinging I would not expect in many cases to be original and your just asking for issues in my view, many of my phones i change the wires to current TP wires were able todo so, handset and line cords Ive had good luck with OPWs repros, and look nice but thats just ME, i cannot speak for others.

Desert Phone Guy

Hello

Your phone is original.  Good points are the finish appears old and in good condition.  The inside base is surprisingly clean, no corrosion or water damage, a definite plus.  Probably has been in the refurb shop at some point, but at least it did not receive a thin coat of cheap paint.  Bottom base cover looks correct.  The dial card does look like a current addition.  No overstamp on the perch.  I would buy it as an original with no hesitation.

poplar1

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 07, 2019, 04:29:29 AM
The wiring harness was made from a cord that has rubber insulated wires/conductors. Authentic 51-AL wiring harnesses were cloth insulated.

The conductors in the switch cord (harness) shown *are* cloth insulated:
Black to BK on dial
Double blue to BB on dial
Red to R on terminal block.

The only rubber insulated conductors are those of the 2-conductor receiver cord and the 3-conductor cord to the subset:

Receiver cord:
White to W on dial
Green to GN terminal

Desk stand cord:
Green to GN terminal
Red to R terminal
Yellow to Y on dial

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: ChristmasGuy on February 06, 2019, 10:02:14 PM
It came with no cord for a ringer box, or even a ringer box, but I have a ringer box, but its connected to my 102. I'm trying to look for wire but not sure what to get. Im also going to make a post about my 102 lol

You need a 3-conductor cord from the 51-AL to the subset.
If the subset with your 102 is a  534A, 584A, 334A, or 295A, then you can connect both the 102 and the 51-AL to the same subset at the same time.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Stubbypylon

What's stamped on the side of your #2 dial finger stop?
Craig Stanowski

ChristmasGuy

Jack Sidlauskas