"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cleaning AE 34 - Farm Fresh+++

Started by DavePEI, March 14, 2013, 06:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Hi All:

I have just purchased a farm fresh AE 34. It if FILTHY! Think I can smell the meadow muffins from here! I am wondering if any of you have cleaned up bakelite as dirty as this one is? I am thinking of using oxy-clean or similar. With luck, it will turn out to be more dust than grunge.  Any suggestions which might help? I do have a correct monophone tool for dissassembly.

I have cleaned lots of phones, but this is by far the dirtiest!

Yes, the dial will need cleaning too of course, but I am not worried about that - I have cleaned up many AE dials and re-lubricated them. My major worry is cleaning the case without discolouring it...

It likely will no doubt need some serious buffing after cleaning.

Insofar as its condition inside, only time will tell once it arrives! Hopefully it will arrive with no further damage. For some reason, I have had trouble finding an AE 34 for the museum - hopefully, this one will clean up as well as I am hoping.

The phone isn't here yet, but will be hopefully in the next week of so.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

kleenax

If you don't want to take it apart completely to clean it, just use a sponge and some Windex, and rinse the sponge a lot (and squeeze it dry) while you wipe the grime off. After you get that dirt off, just polish it up like you would a "normal" phone.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

twocvbloke

If you think that's bad, try cleaning out used vacuum cleaners...... :o

DavePEI

Quote from: kleenax on March 14, 2013, 11:03:23 PM
If you don't want to take it apart completely to clean it, just use a sponge and some Windex, and rinse the sponge a lot (and squeeze it dry) while you wipe the grime off. After you get that dirt off, just polish it up like you would a "normal" phone.
Hi Ray:

Well considering how bad the outside is, I will likely need to open it, but if it otherwise appears to be in good shape. But I will almost definitely have to take it apart at least to clean and lubricate the dial (note it is stuck half-way). Come to think of it, the cords will need replacing, so it will  have to come apart. Would be nice if I could avoid that! Thankfully, I do have the correct monophone tool to get it apart.

In the photo, but for the dirt, it appears to be in good shape - at least no noticeable cracks, etc. - I just don't want to crack it, or discolour the case cleaning it. I have seen them get a white film on the bakelite if you clean them too rigorously. So I may, as you say stick with just a windex cleaning as much as possible. And, hopefully, I won''t find any cracks hiding under the dirt   :'(

It is going to be a fun little project, and I am looking forward to its arrival. I have been searching so long for a decent, affordable 34 for the museum!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

HowardPgh

Just brush off the loose dirt first.  Then gently wipe it down with plain soap and water.  Windex tends to kill the glossy finish of bakelite.
Howard

kleenax

Quote from: HowardPgh on March 15, 2013, 10:38:24 AM
Just brush off the loose dirt first.  Then gently wipe it down with plain soap and water.  Windex tends to kill the glossy finish of bakelite.

The reason that Windex "kills" the glossy finish is because it has a small amount of Ammonia in it. The ammonia serves to better break down the grease n' grime and simply cleans deeper. You do have a point though, but I prefer to put that gloss back on there after I clean them up!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

DavePEI

Quote from: kleenax on March 15, 2013, 05:36:16 PM
Quote from: HowardPgh on March 15, 2013, 10:38:24 AM
Just brush off the loose dirt first.  Then gently wipe it down with plain soap and water.  Windex tends to kill the glossy finish of bakelite.

The reason that Windex "kills" the glossy finish is because it has a small amount of Ammonia in it. The ammonia serves to better break down the grease n' grime and simply cleans deeper. You do have a point though, but I prefer to put that gloss back on there after I clean them up!

Yes, I am not too worried about buffing the finish back. I just can't wait for it to arrive so I can get started! Hopefully, the dial won't be a huge problem - I had had great luck in the past on AE dials dropping them into watch cleaning solution in the Ultrasonic Cleaner, then re-lubing them. It will also need new cords, which I also have coming. Hopefully it won't get damaged in shipping - if it was packed the way I asked, it shouldn't be. Aw, heck, the dirt will hold it together  :D

It will be a great little project, and I am looking forward to it. It had been a while since I had a complete refurbishing job to do, and I will finally have an AE34 on display!

While most of the phones in the museum are NE, I have a special love for AEs, as I grew up in Brockville, Ont. where both the old Phillips Electrical works plant then the new GTE/AE  were located. My first collection when I was young was all AE. I had that collection until I went to college and Mom and Dad threw them all out, thinking they had no value! It wasn't their decision to make, and it will always be a bone of contention for me.

So, it is a matter of catching up and trying to bring back at least part of that collection. Terry has been a wonderful help with newer AE models for the museum, and I have been able to pick up AE 40s and 50s, and other earlier AE phones.

I have an original Phillips Electrical Works subset I found last year, and am still looking for one of them with the handset mounted atop the subset. They were a dime a dozen when I was young in Brockville!

So, that is why I love the AEs so much, and it is so nice being able to share them with others through the museum!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

Dave...is this one of the Recycle Company Phones? Looks like it from the pictures with the yellow handset cord. Are you able to discuss the price?...Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 15, 2013, 08:38:13 PM
Dave...is this one of the Recycle Company Phones? Looks like it from the pictures with the yellow handset cord. Are you able to discuss the price?...Doug
See my P.M.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Hi Pholks:

I received my AE 34 in the mail this morning, and after a wee bit of cleaning, and posting photos. Lots more cleaning to go, and replacement of the dial surround, cleaning of the dial, replacement of cords, an extensicord on the receiver, etc.

There are two pieces broken out of the grille on the left hand side - one of them is still there, so I should be able to glue that one, as least back in, and with luck, when I examine the packing materials, I will discover the other one with it. It appears as though, even though the handset was separately bubble wrapped, it knocked into it during shipping. It isn't serious, but it would have been nice if it hadn't happened, but won't show, as it is on the side.

Lots of cleaning and polishing to go....

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

The inside shot is pretty impressive, that uniform layer of dust is like it was kept in a very dusty environment when it was stored... :D

Reminds me of the motor in my Electrolux C12 (a Sanitaire in disguise), it was about as dusty as that phone's innards... :D

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 21, 2013, 12:08:19 PM
The inside shot is pretty impressive, that uniform layer of dust is like it was kept in a very dusty environment when it was stored... :D

Reminds me of the motor in my Electrolux C12 (a Sanitaire in disguise), it was about as dusty as that phone's innards... :D
Yes, it was pretty dusty overall, but I now have the inside also mostly cleaned, and it looks a lot better. Can't wait to finish it and put the extensicord on it!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

LarryInMichigan

I am sure that it will look great once you're done.  It's good that yours has a SL ringer.  Mine is missing the ringer.  The damage on the side is a shame.  Was the shell bumped by the handset during shipment?

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 21, 2013, 12:12:59 PM
I am sure that it will look great once you're done.  It's good that yours has a SL ringer.  Mine is missing the ringer.  The damage on the side is a shame.  Was the shell bumped by the handset during shipment?

Larry
Yes, that is what I figure. Although the phone and the handset were individually bubble wrapped as I asked, the broken area and the handset were adjacent to each other, so it must have gotten a pretty good jolt during shipping. The good news? I found both broken pieces, so should be able to make a pretty good repair using crazy glue!

Have you got the ringer mount in yours? If so, I have a spare ringer? No correct mount for an AE 34, though.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

LarryInMichigan

I think that I am missing the whole ringer assembly.

Larry