"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bakelite Polish

Started by NYFED, July 10, 2009, 03:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Brinybay;
You didn't by any chance use the two sided sponge with Scothbrite on the back, that is what I use to remove paint splatter etc. but you need to polish afterwards.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 12, 2009, 01:45:04 PM
Brinybay;
You didn't by any chance use the two sided sponge with Scothbrite on the back, that is what I use to remove paint splatter etc. but you need to polish afterwards.
D/P

I did, but I used only the sponge side.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

The scotchbrite sides of those pades, coupled with bon ami, is what I use to get nicotine discoloration off colored phones.  It works wonders.  As Dan said, it has to be followed up with polish, but you'd be surprised at how much can be accomplished with a good scrubbing like this.
= DARRIN =

mienaichizu

I tried using Armor All on Bakelite and it works pretty nice, maybe more buffing will do

HobieSport

Quote from: bingster
The scotchbrite sides of those pads, coupled with bon ami, is what I use to get nicotine discoloration off colored phones.  It works wonders.  As Dan said, it has to be followed up with polish, but you'd be surprised at how much can be accomplished with a good scrubbing like this.

I'm also wondering about using "Barkeepers' Friend" as a mild abrasive, tho it may be just about the same stuff as Bon Ami.

Ramil, your phone looks great with the Armour All. Is that a Dutch Ericsson Ruen phone or is it a Swedish Ericsson? Either way it's very nice. From what I've read on the forum the Armour All seems to be a good last treatment after the cleaning and polishing, just that on bakelite the phone can use more Armour All and buffing every once in awhile to keep the good shine.
-Matt

mienaichizu

thanks Matt, for plastic casing, I use Pledge Furniture Polish and it works great

HobieSport

Quote from: mienaichizu
thanks Matt, for plastic casing, I use Pledge Furniture Polish and it works great

Interesting. I've never heard of using Pledge as a polish on plastic. Has anyone else used it? I wonder what the active ingredients of Pledge polish are.
-Matt

bingster

I use it on the plastic faceplates of radios, but for some reason it never occurred to me to use it on a phone.  I'll have to try that.
= DARRIN =

mienaichizu

here's the one I did using Pledge

more photos are posted on my blogsite

http://mienaichizu.multiply.com/photos/album/189/STC_Telephone

BDM

That came out real nice ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Nice shinny "Aussie" phone you have there!
-Matt

mienaichizu

McHeath

Those phones look fab!  Like new.  I will have to try the amour all idea. 

HobieSport

Besides the great shine given by the Armour All, am I correct in assuming that it also gives some UV protection? 8)
-Matt

mienaichizu

Quote from: HobieSport on July 20, 2009, 12:52:26 PM
Besides the great shine given by the Armour All, am I correct in assuming that it also gives some UV protection? 8)

yes, here's a little info about Armor All

"Can I use Armor All® Protectant products on my dashboard; will it cause cracking?
Armor All® Protectant products are safe to use on your car's dashboard, and will not cause cracking. In fact, Armor All® Protectant products are specially formulated to guard against UV damage (like cracking and discoloration). Whether you prefer sprays, wipes or gel, our Protectants can help keep your dashboard looking like new."

http://www.armorall.com/faq/interior.php#answer11