News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Steve Hilsz, dial repair and parts

Started by HarrySmith, February 20, 2011, 10:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

thanks. I'll contact him. I have a #5 and a #6 that need to be serviced. amazing how things in storage fail.... I took out the phones to use and the 5 line wouldn't dial out...  fiddled with the F/W and the receiver cut out.... time to get serviced!
John

Jim Stettler

FYI: Steve is now offering replacement "round" feet for 500 sets.
Quoted below:

I now have new replacement feet (brown rubber) for most Western Electric style desk telephones that use the round feet.

They are 30 cents each, or 100 for $25.00 plus postage.

Steve Hilsz
jydsk@tds.net

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotoTech99

Dear Jim S.:

I agree with you, that's a good deal on round rubber 500 type feet.

I get mine through scrapping out old 500 style bases where everything else is "junk" but the feet.

ITT rubber feet prior to about 2000 are also good for reuse; I use them on old AE 80D's that have round feet that wear out; I slit the inner part that goes over the stud or rivet and work it into place til it fits.

unless you really looked at one I replaced feet on this way, you'd think they were original.

Also, the feet I use are thick rubber that extends over the stud face where the foot is so I don't have "scratch" issues from the stud making contact on a surface.

Rototech99

HarrySmith

Quote from: Jim S. on February 25, 2017, 08:15:59 AM
FYI: Steve is now offering replacement "round" feet for 500 sets.
Quoted below:

I now have new replacement feet (brown rubber) for most Western Electric style desk telephones that use the round feet.

They are 30 cents each, or 100 for $25.00 plus postage.

Steve Hilsz
jydsk@tds.net

Jim S.

i picked up 100 of them. I am going to get some poly bags to seal them up in. I probably have a lifetime supply!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

SunriseEarth

I sent Steve my dial from my SC 1243-WA to him Tuesday and it's going to back to me on Monday. The dial base assembly was damaged, so he replaced that and sent it out Friday.  He's very pleasant to deal with and only charged $6.00.  I definitely agree with everyone who has recommended him!
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

Doug Rose

They don't come any better than Steve.....super guy and a true friend to the collector....Doug
Kidphone

F. J.

Another happy customer here.

I've a '49 302 that just wasn't reliable at dialling out, so I'd been using it as mostly an answer-only 'phone.  So I took the '59 6A dial out of it and sent it to Mr. Hilsz.  While I had the dial out, I figured I would replace the old, dried-out gasket as well, so I ordered one from OldPhoneWorks's eBay store for $3.95 and free shipping.  Mr. Hilsz received the dial Monday and it was already in the post back to me on Tuesday.  I received it back to-day, and it is eminently smoother.  I've tested it by using it to navigate my voicemail menu (via an XLink BTTN), calling the two Mississippi time-temperature numbers I know, and calling a family member, and so far it's been one hundred per cent reliable.

Excellent work and the price can't be beat: $6.00 plus $5.40 for return postage to Mississippi.

Doug Rose

I sent Steve an email on Wednesday telling him what I was looking for to complete my SC 1178 Project. Steve answered and said he would check his warehouse on Thursday.

Before I heard from Steve I get a Click & Ship from the USPS. Steve found the items I needed and just sent them out, sent me a bill the next day.

Steve is truly the Collectors Friend. These parts were as inexpensive as his dial repairs.

Email Steve   jydsk@tds.net   if you need something, he never ceases to amaze me.....Doug
Kidphone

SunriseEarth

Steve is definitely the best!  I just sent him a 351F3 TT keypad from a White '69 2500 I just picked up and a 6A Dial from my 302 E/G, and they're just about ready to come back.  He's definitely help keep many, many, many phones alive.
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

RDPipes

Contacted Steve about my Mercedes dial that was missing its ratchet pawl and he promptly replied.
I sent it out to him and in a matter of a few days I had it back in perfect working condition.
Very pleased with Steve's work and professionalism. He's the man to send them to.

ka1axy

I've sent several dials to Steve recently, including two 103A "pin dials". I've been extremely happy with the results, as well as his turnaround time. He's good people, and knows his stuff.

recrum

Is Steve Hilsz still doing dial and phone repairs?

ka1axy

Yep. He just recently cleaned and adjusted a WE 7C dial for me.