News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - August 2014

Started by TelePlay, August 01, 2014, 08:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - August 2014 Run Off Vote  (ONE VOTE EACH)

Kenton K's WE soft plastic Rose Beige 500, soft plastic Ivory 500 and a teletrainer from online for $50 plus $46 shipping
14 (41.2%)
sebbel's Bell Canada 3-Boxer with Blake transmitter and long pole receiver for $500
20 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

TelePlay

Quote from: jsowers on September 01, 2014, 11:11:11 AM
John, it only let me vote for one. Can that be fixed?
\

Ooooops!   ???

My error. Two votes are now allowed. Oversight on my part (mistake).

Just remove your one vote and vote again. Thanks for the heads up.

AE_Collector

Everyone who has already voted for August needs to VOTE AGAIN!

Trying something new here....a "Run Off Vote". We may have done this once before.

27 votes in and two "Finds" are tied with each other at 11 votes which is more than double the next largest group of competitors.

I have reset the poll to just Kenton K's and Sebbel's finds. One vote each to hopefully break the tie.

Thanks to all the other contestants in August, some great finds once again. Hopefully those contestants are okay with this experiment.

Terry

Kenton K

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on September 03, 2014, 12:50:45 PM

Something new here....a "Run Off Vote".

. . . at this link.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12382.0

HarrySmith

This is very exciting! Two very nice finds, hard to decide which is the winner!

This is a prime example of Phonitis, excitement over voting for a favorite phone find. You are officially hooked!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Mr. Bones

Terry,

I haven't researched whether the FOtM has ever been declared a tie, might be a first. Not averse to another round of voting, just wondering to myself....

Best regards!

PS to the list: vote early, and vote often! ;D
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

TelePlay

Quote from: Mr. Bones on September 06, 2014, 10:49:10 AM
I haven't researched whether the FOtM has ever been declared a tie, might be a first.

Nope, it would be a second, if it goes that way.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8408.0

AE_Collector

Jeez, i don't know what to do! Yes there was a tie once before and this looks as though it should be one as well. It has been back and forth and at his moment one Find is one vote ahead but I don't feel right about declaring the winner based on that as it has been very back and forth, i just happened to check at this moment.

If it goes back to a tie I say we make it official at a tie or if one Find pulls ahead by at least a couple of votes we will declare that one the winner.

Other moderators help me keep an eye on the standings. I am off somewhat out of internet range again tomorrow morning for 36 hours.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on September 08, 2014, 10:06:17 PM
Jeez, i don't know what to do! Yes there was a tie once before and this looks as though it should be one as well. It has been back and forth and at his moment one Find is one vote ahead but I don't feel right about declaring the winner based on that as it has been very back and forth, i just happened to check at this moment.

If it goes back to a tie I say we make it official at a tie or if one Find pulls ahead by at least a couple of votes we will declare that one the winner.

Other moderators help me keep an eye on the standings. I am off somewhat out of internet range again tomorrow morning for 36 hours.

Terry

A gap has developed in this run-off poll so as Terry requested, and in his words from last month, " . . . time to declare the winner. "

Congratulations to sebbel on his rare, excellent find and for being the owner of the nomination that won the Find of the Month!

Thanks for all the entries this month and thanks to everyone who placed their votes.

. . . for Terry, TelePlay.

Kenton K

AE_Collector

You had some Very Tough competition there Kenton. Any other month and you would have had a much easier win. You still have your excellent find as a significant part of your collection!

Many who aren't into wooden phones so much have no idea what a find the pre 1900 Bell Canada phones are. You can imagine how rare they are being from the first few years of the telephone being invented.

The old time collectors have seen the early phones that they sought for their collections drop very significantly in value as the newer collectors imply can't relate to the rarity and value of them. It is too bad but I guess that is the gamble that any collector takes.

Congratulations to Sebbel and hopefully you make this find the centre piece of your collection! And as always, thanks to everyone who entered their finds this month and to everyone who took the time to vote.

Terry

DavePEI

Congratulations, Sebbell, and also to you, Kenton. This was an incredible month for wonderful finds.

Seb's phone is one of the rarest Canadian phones. I have its twin here from 1889. Shortly after finding it, I was beseiged by offers many couldn't even imagine. The price Seb paid for his is a fraction of what it is worth, as was mine.  He got a real bargain when he got his. Mine for sure isn't going anywhere so long as I am alive :-)

The earliest of these was made at the Bell Canada Workshops in Montreal. In the mid-1990s the workshop became Northern Electric, the workers arriving in the morning to find they no longer worked for Bell, but for the new company.

The multi-colour long pole handset denoted it was used on a toll station, and even only the Blake Transmitter can command into the 1000s of $'s!

A great competition this month for sure.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Kenton K

I agree, that 'two' boxer sure is one heck of a find. I think the modern phone collectors voted for me while the classic phone collectors voted for Sebbel's. Good game!

DavePEI

Hi Kenton:

That is a three boxer, minus only the battery cover. The top box contains the magneto, the center box, the Blake Transmitter, and the lower one, the liquid battery mount and bracket.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Kenton K

Quote from: DavePEI on September 09, 2014, 07:25:31 PM
Hi Kenton:

That is a three boxer, minus only the battery cover. The top box contains the magneto, the center box, the Blake Transmitter, and the lower one, the liquid battery mount and bracket.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes, I just call it a 'two' boxer b/c the bottom 'box' cover is missing.

Ken