News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Remembering Our Veterans on Veterans Day

Started by Jester, November 12, 2009, 12:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

This is a little late, but it seemed right to post it anyway.  When I think of veterans that have given much, it gets a little personal for me.  My great-uncle, the late Raymond Porter, was stationed in the Phillipines during the attack on Pearl Harbor, & was a survivor of the Bataan Death March and subsequent clandestine transport of POW's to the Japanese mainland in unmarked ships in shipping lanes regularly patrolled by US subs.  After all this, he naturally had no use for MacArthur(who he felt abandoned them to save his own neck), and used to tell those who spoke to him of Salvation that he wasn't going to Hell--he'd already been!!  He lived to the age of 80, and I think he was able to put his War experience into a healthier perspective near the end.
The other two veterans from that war that I got to know worked for Southwestern Bell.  Both were hired in 1949, & both moved all over Texas in their early careers.  At the time they hired in, SWB was modernizing all of its exchanges, and these two men were members of crews sent into rural parts of Texas to replace local battery operations with common battery equipment.  If I remember correctly, they told me this work took about five years--from 1946 through 1951.
A.T."Chick" Sturrock worked for SWB for 30 years, and was a ball turret gunner in B-17's over Fortress Europe.
J.A."Buddy" Bobbit hired on with SWB in '49 & retired from AT&T--after devestiture--in 1984.  He was in the Army in the Aleutians and, among other assignments, was part of the burial detail of the Japanese garrison on Attu.
Again, I salute all our veterans, living or gone--past service or present.  May God Bless your every effort!!
Stephen

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

donna

Dennis Markham

Thank you Stephen for starting this topic and sharing your thoughts with us.  Thanks too to all of our Veterans who have served to keep our freedom.  Without their sacrifices and dedication to our Country, those of us today might not be sitting at our computers sharing free speech on this or any forum. 

I'd also like to acknowledge future Veterans, those currently serving in our Armed Forces to keep us all safe.  Tonyrotary for one.......God Bless you all.

Tonyrotary

Thanks Dennis. And thanks to everyone who remembered our Vets. Trust me, it means alot to us. We cannot defend our country without all your support! I also want to thank all the Veterans that came before me. Many sacrificed way more than me.

Doug Rose

To all our Veterans who gave their lives so we can live Free in the wonderful country, we are remembering you on Memerial Day. We will never forget what you gave for your country.

To all our troops who continue to serve to keep us free, thank you. Your job is truly appreciated. You are our heroes! ...Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Doug,

Thanks.

My daily work takes me through the VA Medical Center in Milwaukee every other month or so. I happened to be there early one spring morning this year. While driving out, I stopped, backed up and took this picture of the rolling hills at Wood National Cemetery. It's but a small part of one of many of these - our fields of heroes. Many people never get a chance to see these cemeteries. To be in the middle of one is sobering. Thought I'd add it to your well written sentiment on this day of remembering those no longer with us.

Dennis Markham

Well said, Doug.  Thank you for your post.

Thank you for the photo, John.  I have been to Arlington National Cemetery a few times.  Seeing the rows and rows of headstones is incredible.  It puts into perspective how many individuals have sacrificed to maintain our freedoms.

Ed D

Indeed.  God bless all of them for making the ultimate sacrifice to protect us, and protect our freedom.  May they NEVER be forgotten.
Ed

m1898

I will never forget. I have a son who spent two tours in Iraq. He is now stationed in Wis. I made this display a couple of years ago. It was set up on a military folding field desk. It contained a small fraction of my military collection, some of which I got (legally) while I was in.

Note: the Army Air Corp shoulder patch, in the upper left corner of the second row, was my grandfather's.
"Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day"

Doug Rose

To all our Veterans who gave their lives so we can live Free in the wonderful country, we are remembering you on Memerial Day. We will never forget what you gave for your country.

To all our troops who continue to serve to keep us free, thank you. Your job is truly appreciated. You are our heroes! ...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Jester

I felt it appropriate to add to this thread and wish all our active and veteran servicemen a hearty "Well Done" a few hours' early!
Stephen

Doug Rose

To all of you who gave the ultimate sacrifice so we can live Free in the wonderful country, we are remembering you on this Memorial Day Weekend. We will never forget what you gave for your country. Our country!

To all our troops who continue to serve to keep us free, thank you. Your job is truly appreciated. You are our heroes! The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.....Doug
Kidphone