News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring a 233g

Started by Tamnative, December 14, 2022, 11:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamnative

New here although I have read many posts.
I have a western electric 234g pay phone and a 425e network. I have removed all the wires and am starting fresh.
I have since started wiring it using the information I got here:

"
OK, assuming you are using a 500 set as a network, make sure all the hookswitch contacts for the old 500 have been disconnected from the 425 network inside the 500 base.

The network inside the 500 base will be labeled 425 and then a dash letter, I.E. 425-B, E or some other suffix.  I will refer to that network as a 425.

Line cord wires:
Connect the red line cord wire to L2 of the 425 network, and the green line cord wire to  L1 (Same connections as a model 500 phone.

Ringer wires:
Connect the red ringer wire to L2 on the 425; connect the black ringer wire to L1 on the 425; connect the slate ringer wire to K on the 425, and connect the slate/red ringer wire to A on the 425.  This is the same wiring that the original 500 has too.

Place a short jumper wire between L1 on the 425 and C on the 425.

Payphone handset (Assumes this is a G handset with 4 wires...Black, Red, White, White)
Red handset wire and one White handset wire to TR on the black terminal strip at the top of the lower housing.  (Either white wire will do)
Black handset wire to T on the black terminal strip at the top of the lower housing
Other white handset wire will go to terminal GN on the payphone hookswitch.

Connections between the subset (500 model phone with 425 network) (5 wires)

Wire 1 between L2 on the 425 network and terminal Y on the payphone hookswitch
Wire 2 between RR on the 425 network and terminal R on the payphone hookswitch
Wire 3 between R on the 425 network and TR on the black terminal strip at the top of the lower housing
Wire 4 between B on the 425 network and T on the black terminal strip at the top of the lower housing
Wire 5 between GN on the 425 network and terminal W on the payphone hookswitch.

Make sure there is a jumper between terminals BBX and BB on the payphone hookswitch

That should do it.  All this assumes, of course, that nobody has messed around with the dial wiring, or the configuration of the transfer contact points between the upper and lower housing.  If that is the case, then there will be more work involved.

Also, when replacing the upper housing, always do so with the phone off hook, otherwise the flimsy little brass tab that controls the bent coin release can get bent and break off."

I tried it and it didn't work. My question is there are obviously some connections that I need to make ie; the BKX terminal at the bottom which I don't know were to connect. Are there others? Thanks

poplar1

Can you post pictures of the inside of your 234G?

There may be some missing parts in the upper housing (where the dial and coin track are located).

Here is a diagram I found in the TCI Library (telephonecollectors.info) by searching for 234G. I will also post it in the wiring diagram section of the forum. Last image shows the 685A subset
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

FABphones

Quote from: Tamnative on December 14, 2022, 11:29:07 PM...I have a western electric 234g pay phone and a 425e network. I have removed all the wires and am starting fresh.
I have since started wiring it using the information I got here...

Link:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6521
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Contempra

Tamnative , welcome to the forum :) I'm sure you'll like it .Have a nice day .

HarrySmith

Ditto, Welcome to the forum.
There is an easy to read diagram I used posted by Jeff here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21154.15
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Tamnative

Quote from: FABphones on December 15, 2022, 03:30:06 AMLink:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6521

Thanks for the link, that's where I have found most of the information I have and the reason I joined this forum. 😁

Tamnative

Here are some pictures,notice in the last photo terminal BKX has nothing and I don't know where it should go.

poplar1

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 15, 2022, 09:00:54 AMDitto, Welcome to the forum.
There is an easy to read diagram I used posted by Jeff here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21154.15

I wouldn't use that diagram. For one thing, there is a wire connected to SL on the hookswitch, but nothing on its mate, Y. What is the sense of using only one half of a 2-contact switch?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Stan S

I think you left out most of the wiring in the top of the phone. Wiring from the electromagnet (upper left hand corner) and the coin microphones. Your wiring as far as you've gone is correct. The BKX terminal in the bottom is used to short the dial pulse contacts for toll fraud prevention. In the top it is a necessary tie point. Your Black dial wire is hanging not connected to anything. I would use the official Bell System diagram.

Stan S

If the electromagnet and coin mics were removed or you don't want to use them, just connect the black dial wire where the red dial wire is connected. You should get dial tone.

Tamnative

Quote from: poplar1 on December 15, 2022, 11:02:55 AMI wouldn't use that diagram. For one thing, there is a wire connected to SL on the hookswitch, but nothing on its mate, Y. What is the sense of using only one half of a 2-contact switch?

Just to make sure, I am using a 425E to try and use it as a home phone.All the coin mechanism parts I disabled and am just going to leave them.

Stan S

Should work that way if you move the black dial wire.

Tamnative

Ok I took some more pictures now all the wires that you see are hooked up using the information I got from this site by member Poplar1. The network is a 425E.

Tamnative

Also just to clarify I am not going to use it as a pay phone I just want to make it work like a normal "home" phone in my garage.

Stan S

Let's try this again.
Your wiring is correct.
The phone isn't working because you
eliminated the electromagnet and the coin mics.
By doing that the phone is never connected to the phone line.
Move the Black dial wire and put it on the screw where the Red dial wire is connected and the phone will work fine as a regular extension phone without having to deposit coins.