News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Inherited a wooden phone - Need help identifying

Started by Rudy Bega, December 18, 2022, 08:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudy Bega

There's a brass(?) tag on it that says Monarch Telephone Mfg. Co. Chicago, U.S.A.
The mouthpiece says CRACRAFT-LEICH ELECTRIC CO. GENOA, ILL, U.S.A.
The bottom box is not attached with hinges, rather 2 screws and 2 butterfly like wings to hang it.

Family lore says the phone was in my grandfather's house. This same house was also my great-grandfather's house. My uncle had it and he told my brother it was on "the farm." He took it and it's been in a dusty warehouse (along with a hoarder's dream of other stuff) for at least 50 years. My brother inherited it and gave it to me.

Great-grandfather was in that house from late 1800s (I'd guess about 1890) until he died in 1937. My grandfather moved in and was there until the late 1960s. My uncle said he took the phone with him when they sold the farm - again, late 1960s. So, it's been in storage for awhile.

I'm having trouble dating this phone. It looks a lot like a WE. But I can't find any Monarchs that look like this.

If you've read this far, THANKS!

HarrySmith

Some more pictures might help narrow it down. Front, back, insides, etc.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Witty

Rudy,

Welcome to the Forum!
Always nice to see posts from newer members.

As Harry said, more pictures are needed. Some from the sides, and some from inside the top box with the door opened up showing overall and closeups of the internal parts. It's always nice to see units with good provenance.

Ken
Ken

HarrySmith

Welcome to the best forum on the net. In addition to the pictures already suggested the inside of the bottom box and backboard too. Good luck!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"