News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 7D-3 dial 1957

Started by markosjal, January 11, 2023, 03:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I have a 1957 WE 7d-3 dial with metal fingerwheel on a WE 500.

I have a question about these dials and if I recall correctly this may actually be "normal" function for these dials. But, it seems to require more force to move it. Although this could be due to lubrication , it seems to me some of these were that way and maybe this is one of them?

I would prefer not to do  more than is necessary so I thought I would ask other opinions.

Thanks
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

markosjal

MMikeJBenN27

Requiring more than normal effort usually means a frozen governor clutch.  Send it to Steve Hilsz.  He charges an astronomical price of $6.00 for service.  Any parts will be extra.  His E-Mail address of JYDSK@TDS.NET.  He will give you the address to send it to.

Mike

markosjal

I am definitely NOT sending it out.  You must have mistaken me for someone else!!

FABphones

Steve has a great reputation but it is a good asset to learn how to lubricate and repair dials at home.

Teleplay has several good threads, also found this detailed thread from back in 2008:

7D Dial Cleaning & Lubrication:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=285
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

markosjal

I have been doing this since I was 6 or 7 years old.  I am now 60. I have since dealt with most every kind of dial most every kind of problem. I am sure this one is no different. I in no way deny that there are people who know more but believe I can deal with it

My initial question was about the amount of force required for the 7H dial as it feels more "granular" and as if it requires a little more force than say aa type 5  dial. 

FABphones

Although worded differently, the issue you mention is discussed on the thread linked above. Additionally, reply #22 has attachments showing pages from Bell System Practice 501-162-100 which specifically mentions mechanical noise, binding, and lockup.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

MMikeJBenN27

If it feels rough, you should check the adjustment of the gears.  If they are too loosely meshed, it will feel rough and "notchy", and be noisy.  If they are too tight, it will feel like it is stiff and binding.  These dials work fine when in adjustment.

Mike

Contempra

7A , 7C , 7D , I don't have any problems with them and I'm used to hearing the noise it makes, I like it :)

markosjal

Quote from: FABphones on January 17, 2023, 09:18:07 PMAlthough worded differently, the issue you mention is discussed on the thread linked above. Additionally, reply #22 has attachments showing pages from Bell System Practice 501-162-100 which specifically mentions mechanical noise, binding, and lockup.

Thanks I'll have another look