"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE "Lift Plunger to Dial or Talk"

Started by RDPipes, January 17, 2023, 01:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Nice job Ron!

Fellow member Tom 128 made this and it shows off the writing. He was nice enough to send me one......Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12424.msg234352#msg234352
Kidphone

RDPipes

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 21, 2023, 05:50:49 PMNice job Ron!

Fellow member Tom 128 made this and it shows off the writing. He was nice enough to send me one......Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12424.msg234352#msg234352
Thank you Doug!
I seen that one, its a nice one but, I wanted one that looks like the handset was being raised off the cradle instead.
I think it gives it a more natural look.

FABphones

Looking good Ron, particularly like the style of angled stand you made for the handset.

From the above link, (zoomed in) images attached show a stand more like the one you made. Tom says he held the handset on using a form of double sided tape.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on February 21, 2023, 06:11:04 PM...he held the handset on using a form of double sided tape.
Thank you CJ!
I didn't want to use the tape because it leaves a residue after awhile and is hard to clean up without dulling the finish of the handset. If I was able to make a longer one mine would have not needed anything to hold it on because I would have put a fork at the end for the ear piece to rest in, almost like a wall phone cradle. I'll get a longer piece and upgrade it when I have the extra money.

FABphones

Quote from: RDPipes on February 21, 2023, 06:17:34 PM...mine would have not needed anything to hold it on because I would have put a fork at the end for the ear piece to rest in, almost like a wall phone cradle. I'll get a longer piece and upgrade it when I have the extra money.

That's one of the things which is so great about CRPF, sharing ideas. I wouldn't have thought of that.  Looking forward to seeing your next version.
:)

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on February 21, 2023, 06:21:33 PMThat's one of the things which is so great about CRPF, sharing ideas. I wouldn't have thought of that.  Looking forward to seeing your next version.
:)
Thank you again CJ, it might be awhile because plexiglass is so high nowadays you'd think it had gold in it, LOL!

Contempra

Well,..well..well ! Ron , you did a very good job on your special 302 .. Hmm...quite a bit better than what I would have done. I have to say that I leave them in their juice except to clean them and oil the dial, I have never polished a phone. I have an old red shell that broke but I don't know the products used for that except for the dremel.

RDPipes

Quote from: Contempra on February 22, 2023, 09:05:34 AMWell,..well..well ! Ron , you did a very good job on your special 302 .. Hmm...quite a bit better than what I would have done. I have to say that I leave them in their juice except to clean them and oil the dial, I have never polished a phone. I have an old red shell that broke but I don't know the products used for that except for the dremel.

Thank you Denis! Ya know I've had a lot of luck using Cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) purchased from good hobby shops. I use the very thin (like water) type for cracks applying it from the rear with a needle point applicator because the stuff come out fast and it helps to slow it down and pin point the application of it. Being thin it will actually capillary itself into the crack and then I use an quick activator to dry it instantly that can also be found at a good hobby shop online. If there's any kind of small gap in crack in the front I'll also apply some there to fill it, spray it with activator and, then wet sand with the appropriate grits and buff. 50% of the time the crack almost disappears (depending on phone color) and other times it does show a little, just make sure the crack is clean from all dirt before gluing. Ya can't make it any easier then that my friend.

RDPipes

Okay, as I stated earlier I had to wait to get some more Plexiglass to do this right.
Got some and made one longer to support the handset without any stick'um with a slight
cradle made at the end of the plexiglass. I holds it real well and I even carried the phone
in from the front room display as it sat and it didn't even try to fall off.

FABphones

Very nicely done.  :)

What was the measurement of the Plexiglass when laid out flat, and what did you use to cut it?
I'll have to have a search in the diy store, see if they have any.

* How thick is it?
(Just found some in a diy store, 2mm or 4mm thickness).

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on March 23, 2023, 04:31:54 PMVery nicely done.  :)

What was the measurement of the Plexiglass when laid out flat, and what did you use to cut it?
I'll have to have a search in the diy store, see if they have any.

* How thick is it?
(Just found some in a diy store, 2mm or 4mm thickness).
CJ, 4mm would be best, mine is less then a 1/8" but, it was all they had besides too thick.
If memory serves me right I believe it was 9-1/8" long before bending. No matter, as long as you make it too long
you can always cut it to size once it's bent.

FABphones

Thanks Ron. I'll add a 4mm sheet to the diy store shop list (I keep seeing Scroll Saws in there as well - too tempting to pop one in the trolley alongside a sheet of Plexiglass).
 ;)

MMikeJBenN27

Wow!  Is that a pre-war, (40 or 41), red phone? 

Mike

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on March 24, 2023, 02:20:34 AMThanks Ron. I'll add a 4mm sheet to the diy store shop list (I keep seeing Scroll Saws in there as well - too tempting to pop one in the trolley alongside a sheet of Plexiglass).
 ;)

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to answer that part of your question (memory is getting shorter everyday it seems).
Saber saw is good, I used a band-saw but, the hardware store where I bought it used a gizmo like a glass cutter
and scored it and then snapped it off (wouldn't try that without practice first).