"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Expoga" rebuilt telephones from Denmark

Started by cdt22, February 22, 2023, 07:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdt22

Hi folks,

New here. I'm searching for information about the company "Expoga" of Aarhus, Denmark, which used to recondition early 20th century phones for resale (often the well-known D30 and D08 designs).

I mean phones like this:
https://www.catawiki.com/en/l/15506073-vintage-1897-expoga-danmark-danish-porcelain-telephone

I'm interested to know how much rebuilding and modification was done inside these telephones. Does anyone own an "Expoga" telephone, and if so, would they be willing to take a couple of pictures of the internals for me?

I might also be interested in buying an "Expoga" telephone if anyone has one for sale?

Best wishes,

Chris
cdt22@cantab.net

cdt22

By the way, any additional information or literature about the company would also be much appreciated!

LarryInMichigan

I am sure that the company has been mentioned on this forum in the past.  Do a search for it.

Larry

countryman

cdt22

I'm sceptical that the D30 reviewed on Matilo's website IS actually an Expoga D30. I could be wrong, but I can't see any coppered phones offered in the Expoga catalogues, and their work also seems to be of a better quality.

FABphones

Welcome to CRPF Chris.

—-

First attached image, D30 phone from the above Matilo link.

Second attached image, one from my collection (since moved on to another collection).

Mine was a nice phone, the black paint and decals were in good condition. The unique design of dial (number plate depresses when finger inserted) worked well (close up shown on image three below).

The cradle did unfortunately spin, which is normal on these and was the reason I moved it on from my collection. Naturally, a short while after it had gone a correct and original cradle arrived in a misc box of spare parts...

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

cdt22

Hi. Thanks a lot for those pictures. The feature which sees the number plate depressing is new to me. The Expoga telephones in their 1970s catalogues don't seem to have this feature. There is an obvious gap visible. Did your phone have the "Expoga Danmark" label on the underside?

I don't suppose you kept any pictures of the internals, did you? I'm interested to know how much of the original circuitry was preserved by Expoga and how much was swapped out in favour of modern components.

Chris

FABphones

Quote from: cdt22 on February 23, 2023, 05:15:48 AM...I don't suppose you kept any pictures of the internals...

I recently cleared space on my devices and that was the only photo I did not delete.

If there are any of interest to you on eBay etc it may be worthwhile messaging the sellers and asking them to message you photos of the interiors.

Please let us know how you get on.

:)

Doug Rose

Mine must be a later production as the cradle looks newer. Beautiful green cords and the dial moves....Doug
Kidphone

cdt22

Doug, does yours say "Expoga" on the bottom? Nice phone!

Doug Rose

Quote from: cdt22 on February 23, 2023, 09:39:45 AMDoug, does yours say "Expoga" on the bottom? Nice phone!
It does not...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Doug's phone does not show any of the tell-tale signs of having been through the Expoga refurb so is an unaltered D30. If original to the phone, the green cord shows that particular D30 was for a 24 volts exchange.

Interior image of a D30 (from the above link). For comparison perhaps Doug could add a photo of his phone's interior, then we have another to compare against.

:)

HarrySmith

I really like the way the wires are finished. Nicely wrapped and even color coded to match the terminals ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Contempra

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 23, 2023, 11:46:13 AMI really like the way the wires are finished. Nicely wrapped and even color coded to match the terminals ;D

I agree with you. Also, it helps to replace the wires when disassembling, cleaning and reassembling the telephone. So you can't make a mistake .