"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Payphone enclosure

Started by romano75018, February 27, 2023, 09:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

romano75018

Hello,

I am currently working on an art project that has been very meaningful to me for several years. As part of this project, I am gathering metal enclosures from abandoned payphones located throughout Los Angeles.

I am seeking assistance in removing just the metal enclosure from these payphones. If anyone is able to provide a tutorial on this process or knows of a company that could assist me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

Contempra

First , welcome on the forum Romano . secondly , you will find experts for 'payphone' here, which unfortunately I am not.

romano75018

Thank you. I am looking forward to the replies.

romano75018

Here is the payphone that I would like to remove the enclosure.  Please help.

FABphones

Although seemingly abandoned (no longer in use) payphones/enclosures do have a proprietor.

Please note: a phone booth may appear to be in a poor state of condition, but they did have power running to them - including to any signage lighting - which may still be live.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

It does appear to still be connected to power. Is there a business next to it? Have you asked about it? You would need to be sure the power is disconnected before attempting removal. I believe the mounting bolts are located behind the backboard the payphone was on.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

G-Man

Just to clarify, the photos show that the payphone has already been removed and only the enclosure remains.

Using a hex security driver, remove the screws from the sheetmetal that conceals the base.

Here are a couple of examples of the primary tool that you will need:

Then remove the nuts from the bolts that are set in the concrete.

However, there are caveats:

• You will need to receive permission from owner of the enclosure or if abandoned, the property owner. Otherwise, even though you are performing a community service, you risk subjecting yourself to possibly being criminally charged for theft.
  • As has already been pointed out, you will need to disconnect the power that illuminated the signage or in some cases, the payphone itself.
  • After disconnecting the power, the wire need to be removed or at least concealed inside of an electrical box if one is present.
  • Next, you will need to remove the bolts from the concrete. If someone happens to trip or fall on them and are injured, you can open yourself up to possible civil or criminal prosecution.

Perhaps I'm being overly cautious but personally I would be beside myself if a child or anyone else fell on them and pierced a vital part of their body.

romano75018

What about if I dont want the stand, do I still have to drill it?

G-Man

Quote from: romano75018 on March 05, 2023, 01:02:44 AMWhat about if I dont want the stand, do I still have to drill it?

Personally I would not leave the remnants behind in someone else's neighborhood and make an already bad situation even worse. If I were the property owner I would tell whomever wanted it that it is an "all or nothing" proposition. But of course you are free to do as you please.

FABphones

Quote from: romano75018 on March 05, 2023, 01:02:44 AMWhat about if I dont want the stand...

As per the above:
Have you established ownership and received permissions (preferably in writing) to remove the booth?
Have you received confirmation there is absolutely no live power running to the booth?

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Contempra

Quote from: FABphones on March 05, 2023, 03:28:45 AMAs per the above:
Have you established ownership and received permissions (preferably in writing) to remove the booth?
Have you received confirmation there is absolutely no live power running to the booth?

These are the real questions to ask yourself .... you must at least have permission indeed. Nothing less.

romano75018

I totally understand, I tried to send emails to the city but I didn't get any answer. Otherwise I need to find a place in Los Angeles where they dispose them. I am just getting a bit anxious as I see the case of the payphone being removed

Contempra

Quote from: romano75018 on March 05, 2023, 02:04:49 PMI totally understand, I tried to send emails to the city but I didn't get any answer. Otherwise I need to find a place in Los Angeles where they dispose them. I am just getting a bit anxious as I see the case of the payphone being removed

I know it's not easy ( Obvious ) , and Los Angeles is a very big city, so I understand your anxiety . But you could go to the city hall or better, if you know the company that installed these "phone-booths", you can ask their permission.

romano75018

I did, they all sold them to individual and city doesn't really know.

romano75018

WOuld love some help, please!!

thank you