and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ringer Freq. and Dial ID inside my AE 32A14

Started by AliceWonder, March 25, 2023, 11:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

AliceWonder

Thanks so much.

I will try to get better pictures in the morning. Nephew is visiting and we went to Mount Diablo on Saturday where I found out I can still do the long hikes but I'm too old to function afterwards without plenty of sleep...

I'm sending my 6A dial (from my WE 354) in to Steve Hilsz to get it repaired (likely a bad governor) and I'm thinking I'll send in the dial from this phone just to get it adjusted/lubricated as I've heard some pulse to DTMF converters are picky about the pulse rate, so I will try to take very good pictures (not camera phone) tomorrow while disassembling it.

AliceWonder

Okay better pictures. The wiring diagram is very old and brittle and came apart, I will try to make a replica to replace it so the next bloke who gets this phone when I cross the rainbow bridge has something...

Phone13.jpg

The phone also has a severe flaw I did not notice, I knew the hook plunger was stuck but the entire cradle has a severe crack. It appears the cradle is a separate piece that comes off, so I could potentially replace it or perhaps use a plastic filler to repair it or worse case scenario, just fit my base onto an A1.

The marking on the base itself does in fact say "SL".

Phone14.jpg
Phone15.jpg

Here is where the red-colored cloth wire from the capacitor connects.

Phone16.jpg

Here is where the black-colored cloth wire from the ringer coil connects.

Phone17.jpg

(note there is a small jumper from capacitor to ringer coil)

A photo with arrows pointing towards both connections from the subset base:

Phone18.jpg

So for the present, I will work on trying to create a vector graphics recreation of the aged wiring diagram and watch for either an A1 or a cradle that isn't cracked, and perhaps get an OEM handset wire.

What I thought was broken wires inside were not, it's just whoever installed the replacement handset wire used a bit of cloth covered wire to tie a knot - likely to prevent the handset cable from being pulled off the connection screws.

TelePlay

Let me congratulate you on the proper use of image attachment and insertion within the text to support the context as you moved through your points. A very easy to read/understand reply.

And thanks for the images, especially the ringer numbers which are hard to get due to depth of field issues from the surrounding larger components.

Both are not hard to do once one understands how to do it.

Now, if you have the time, images of the damaged/cracked part would be interesting to see. Some member may have already had a similar problem and came up with a good fix.

AliceWonder

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10377.0

That's a topic by forum member Stub from 2013. This place is awesome.

Almost identical wiring diagram to mine except mine is "FORM D-53490" opposed to Stub's "FORM D-53489" and mine has a third ground wire in the line, looks like the P-A-X switch sent the ring signal with respect to ground rather than bridged.

Obviously to use the phone on a VoIP line I'd need to wire it bridged. One less internal wire too.

tubaman

Quote from: AliceWonder on March 28, 2023, 01:11:22 AMhttp://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10377.0

Almost identical wiring diagram to mine except mine is "FORM D-53490" opposed to Stub's "FORM D-53489" ...

Here's a PDF of that diagram if it assists (from TCI Library - https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/automatic-electric/1854-ae-32a14-handset-desk-telephone-ae32-tl)

G-Man

Quote from: AliceWonder on March 28, 2023, 01:11:22 AMhttp://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10377.0

Almost identical wiring diagram to mine except mine is "FORM D-53490" opposed to Stub's "FORM D-53489" and mine has a third ground wire in the line, looks like the P-A-X switch sent the ring signal with respect to ground rather than bridged.

Obviously to use the phone on a VoIP line I'd need to wire it bridged. One less internal wire too.
Yes, as both poplar1 and myself have previously pointed out the number for the ringer in your set is [D]56355A S.L., as can be barely deciphered in your original photographs.

And also consistent is your set's ringer being factory-wired for "Ground" ringing, since the label is stamped "L145."

While an "L144" code indicates that a set's ringer has been factory-wired for "Metallic" (bridged) ringing, either configuration can easily rewired in the field for one or the other.

As far as the PBX using grounded or bridged ringing, it depended on whether the line was used for one or two-party service; the same as a public exchange, so it doesn't necessarily mean that the PBX was only capable of grounded ringing.

And again as has also been pointed out, it is equipped with a Type 24 dial (D84734).