and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - April 2013

Started by AE_Collector, March 31, 2013, 10:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - April 2013

Southernphoneman's Restored Black WECo 500 for $42.00
3 (11.1%)
Sargeguy's Ohio Bell Teletrainer with red and green 500's. $75 plus $45 shipping
6 (22.2%)
GarageParty's WECo 181H early 3 slot Payphone from IV 1940 for $45.00
10 (37%)
WesternElectricBen's Panasonic 616 PBX with 4 Phones for 4.99 & $40 shipping
4 (14.8%)
tptech302's "like New" Red Continental 202 for $70
4 (14.8%)
LarryInMichigan's pair of Ivory North 541's from ebay for $102.50
5 (18.5%)
teka-bb's Working (& Noisy!) Siemens & Halske PABX  for Free
6 (22.2%)
Dan's Western Electric 1949/1950 500 with curved "operator" BIN $29.99!
18 (66.7%)
Jim S' LOSS of a truckload of CRAP/SCRAP for FREE!
6 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 27

tptech302

Thanks Larry, from what the seller knew about it, that was the case, apparently was still in the box, but the box fell apart when he opened it. Cords are like new, not the least bit brittle at all. Now I just need a nice 685 subset to go with it!

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: tptech302 on April 29, 2013, 11:01:47 PM
Thanks Larry, from what the seller knew about it, that was the case, apparently was still in the box, but the box fell apart when he opened it. Cords are like new, not the least bit brittle at all. Now I just need a nice 685 subset to go with it!

I would expect that the phone is worth more like $300, possibly more.  You're fortunate to have seen it before I did ;D.  Does the handset have an F1 or T1 transmitter?  My green Continental has a T1 with adapter rings.  I have it on my bedroom nightstand, connected to a modified 425B network in lieu of a real subset, and it works fine.

Larry

poplar1

A 202 can be used with a 684 or a 685. However, since yours has a 4-conductor mounting cord, it would have been used with a 684A, 684BA, 634A or 634BA.

The subset would have been painted the same color as the 202.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tptech302

Yes I saw it only minutes after listed and jumped on it. This one has the F1's I believe, though I didn't look for sure yet. I saw on here how to wire to a 425 network, so may try to rig up something to I find a subset.

Thanks for the info poplar 1

Josh

LarryInMichigan

I am going to nominate my pair of ivory North 541s which I won on ebay for $102.50 (ebay link).

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Dan's 3/50 500 should be here.

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 30, 2013, 07:30:51 PM
Any more nominations? Last chance or you will have to wait for ANOTHER MONTH!

Six contestants so far this month and that isn't including Jim's boxes of CRAP & SCRAP! But I think Jim is hoping to enter them in the "LOSSES of the Month" category, not the "FIND of the Month"!

Terry
Just wanted to nominate Remco's Siemens & Halske PABX which is still in working order and it's noisy, and best of all was free!:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9330.msg100053#msg100053

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dennis Markham

I will nominate Dan's Western Electric Model 500 from early 1950.  This phone has a handset dated 1949 and the early curved "operator" on the dial bezel.  All for the low-low Buy It Now price of $29.99.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9296.15

Jim Stettler

My best find in April was a "Taker" for a truckload of telephone CRAP/SCRAP. It took 4 tries to get a taker.
I only had to haul it about a mile vs 450 miles to KS (thanks Mr. Bones)
\The first 3 photos are the truck full. The other photos are a closer look in the boxes.
These were stored in a "tarp style" carport. It leaked and I no longer cared. Their was still a lot of good stuff.
I gave the same young man about the same amount of stuff about 4 years ago.
I expect to give him more stuff in the future.
Color me happy, (I don't have to deal with it anymore)

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 30, 2013, 07:30:51 PM
Any more nominations? Last chance or you will have to wait for ANOTHER MONTH!

Six contestants so far this month and that isn't including Jim's boxes of CRAP & SCRAP! But I think Jim is hoping to enter them in the "LOSSES of the Month" category, not the "FIND of the Month"!

Terry
Ha-Ha,
I found a taker so I am a happy winner.
Jim
You live, You learn,

AE_Collector

Okay, it's that time again....time to vote!

This month I was giving everyone 2 votes for 8 items but have bumped it to 3 votes since I added Jim's "Unloading of a truck load of CRAP/SCRAP". So Jim gets 1 vote from everyone who votes and you can use your other two votes as you choose.

Some day we ALL have to figure out how to unload lots of CRAP in this hobby and Jim did it without dumping it in the garbage can. Consequently, Jim pretty much has to be the winner this month (since EVERYONE is voting for him) but he won't officially wind up as the winner even though he thinks he won hands down! Nice going Jim!

Terry

Jim Stettler

Thanks Terry, I feel I won big unloading this pile . This was the 4th large purge #1 went to a friend #2 went to the (gasp) dump, numbers 3 and 4 went to young Nick.
I also won big time by getting it off the old property and not onto the new.

My oldest daughter (18) also took a North Galion (sideways 302) and an old bell system Rubber butt set last night. She liked the numbers only "rural" dial plate on the North, and the fact that she can drop the Buttinski* 200 feet (I bet she never drops it more than 5')
Jim
* Buttinski= I have seen Harris Dracon cut sheets that use the term Buttinski. The name comes from the inventor and the common terms "butt-in" and "butt-out" comes from telephone slang { just some more useless phone trivia}
You live, You learn,

AE_Collector

You guys are a riot! This was a "test" to see how many read instructions and how many don't! At the moment, 6 out of 23 read instructions! Oh well, "it's all good"...

Terry

AE_Collector

A "Few more Days" to vote turned into a week! But we may as well put an end to the voting and declare Dan the winner this month. Dan's Western Electric 1949/1950 500 cleaned up with almost double the votes of the next closest competitor, GarageParty's WECo 181H but in the end, early 500's seem to have a wider following. Even Jim's CRAP & SCRAP giveaway didn't get as many votes as expected. Jim's happy all the same!

Congratulations Dan (and GarageParty as well)! And thanks to all of this months competitors.

Terry

Jim Stettler

I'm So happy to get rid of the SCRAP/Crap I could stand on my head with joy.

Jim
You live, You learn,