News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

electronic payphone lock some one was asking about these.

Started by Payphone installer, May 28, 2018, 04:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payphone installer

I was digging in some boxes looking for parts and I came across this.  I recall someone was asking about this,so I took some pics. It is a electronic payphone lock.

Key2871

So how did this operate, via batteries and a signal by remote transmitter?
Or was it some how powered by the CO line?
KEN

This lock is out of my Northern Telecom Millennium.

Pictures taken by Member Jeff Lamb.

Key2871

OK, so after reading more here under payphone locks and keys. I'm totally surprised with no power source how these even worked, unless the special key had a battery on it that powered the solenoid when inserted. And the solenoid operated to allow the key to operate the lock. Kinda like the T key used to operate the secondary lock on the housing or the vault door.
And I can see how if things were done out of order would screw them up, with the chip inside to operate the lock. Seems like a poor thought process behind the whole thing. Even though I'm sure those were very expensive to buy, not really to make.

I think that a power source from the CO would maybe helped things better, and made it possible to send information to a place to let them know that someone is there trying to get access to the phone.
But then perhaps they did think about that when they were concerned with cost in the first place. I would think today might be a better time to use those, because of the internet, smart payphones, etc. But of course now it's too late, no body really uses payphones any more.

I'm actually surprised they really worked at all. I bet the key was more expensive to make than the actual unit it's self.
KEN

Payphone installer

Key had a coiled cord attached to a battery pack. As the pack was used it exchanged a code. The software sucked,the codes got scrambled it never worked right, it was all scraped after Hundreds of thousands of dollars were spent. I think I have access to the box that opened it I will see if I can get a pic.

Key2871

Wow, that was an expensive failure!  With less than $2.00 in components in those locks, I'm not surprised that they didn't work. And it sounds like no real thought process went into it.
Just a key, that provides power to operate a solenoid, and power some other chip, for what?
Yikes, I thought MA bell had more smarts than that.
Sounds likes lot of frustrated techs were ready to get out of that and quick.
KEN

MacGnG

This MIGHT be a "Medeco Hybrid Key" ... not sure but i think its a biaxial. I will look through my locks and see if I can find the key and take a picture.

Here is an article:
http://www.locksmithledger.com/article/10225259/bridging-the-gap-between-mechanical-and-electronic-security

MacGnG

i found the "machine" that is connected to the electronic key to open that lock up.

here is a pic. and the PDF

Sigmaz

wow.
Now that's overkill. 
Talk about a solution to a problem that doesn't exist,