News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vault Doors

Started by HarrySmith, September 13, 2018, 04:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I am assuming vault doors from single slot & 3 slot phones are not interchangeable? I have a chance to get some nice Bell South maked vault doors but I am not sure they will fit my WE 3 slot 233 phones.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

You are correct. Totally different animals. Even elcotel and western are different. Elcotel is based on AE type, and westerns are only for western.
Northern, three slot will work on a Western . AE may fit but not really made for others.
KEN

HarrySmith

Thanks. I forgot to add to my first post that I am guessing since they are Bell South they are from newer single slots.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Any Western door will fit any Western 1series phone.
KEN

AE_Collector

3 slot vault doors are interchangeable between manufacturers....I believe?

Terry

rdelius

3 slot slot doors will interchange but single slot  doors will not

HarrySmith

I am still on the lookout for vault doors. I have some covers that came with them but I do not see a way to attach them. I will try to add a picture here. I am still not 100% clear on my original question, I beleive single slot doors will not fit three slot phones, Correct?
I have pulled some pictures from eBay to illustrate what I percieve as the difference.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

3 slot doors and single slot doors will not interchange. WE and AE single slot doors will not interchange.single slot Coin vault boxes will not fit into 3 slot telephones

HarrySmith

OK, that's what I thought. Thanks Robbie.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

soundsystems

Hi Harry. I forgot to tell you about those aluminum doors. I could never find a good deal on WE 3 slot doors, so I purchased those aluminum doors from Jim Engle (Payphone Installer on the forum). You can drill a small hole in them and use a spring to hold them closed. Unless you are selling to another collector, most people don't mind (or even notice). There are even some conversions "out there" that have the doors glued in place (not my work)!  Also, I would recommend leaving the coin hopper and relay in place. The coins won't drop into the vault properly without the hopper. The relay can be tied such that the coins will pass without going into escrow. Good luck with the project!