"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Newbie from ARF

Started by Shovelhead, September 14, 2008, 10:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shovelhead

Shovelhead is here too.
I found out about this forum from the ARF . I also see a few familiar names here.

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Shovelhead on September 14, 2008, 10:19:47 AM
Shovelhead is here too.
I found out about this forum from the ARF . I also see a few familiar names here.

The ARF?!  You must be one of those OTR guys... welcome!  While it's not my primary interest, I'm a radio show fan myself.  And you followed Shovelhead over?!  (ooh...I think he's the guy with the scary-looking wall phone!)   :D
Make yourself at home, and shout if I can do anything for you. 
(I'm still passing out the Charter Member avatar to anyone that's interested...just say the word!)
- Mark

Bill

Bill Jeffrey here from ARF as well. I've been restoring a 102/202 desk set and attached subset for a few weeks now, and succeeded only when a number of individuals answered my agonized plea. As someone else noted, there doesn't seem to be a lot of organized info anywhere, though the total body of info in the hands of individuals seems large.

A maybe-dumb question that I haven't seen yet. The title of this forum is Rotary Phones. Will discussion of pre-rotary phones be encouraged as well? You know, old local-battery and early common-battery sets?

And if you're still handing out Charter member avatars, I'll sign up for one. Thanks.

Bill

McHeath

Nope, it's Rotary Phones Or Else We Must Send Guido And The Boys Over To Break Your Kneecaps!  ;)  Actually I find all era's of phones interesting, well at the least phones made before the last couple of decades.  I confess freely that I know next to nothing about phones before about 1930, and I only know about 2% of things there are to know about phones made since then, so I'd enjoy hearing about the early days.

bingster

Welcome over, guys! 

By the way, ARF = Antique Radio Forum
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/index.php
= DARRIN =

bill hamre

Newbie from ARF and I'm just here to lurk and learn.

TIPandRING

Hey I'm on here too  :-X

You may know me as "Dr. Radio" on the ARF, but I decided on a more appropriate name for this place.

My speciality is the 1950s to 1970s plastic phones, but did restore a 1920s candlestick for a friend.

Can I get the nifty charter member avatar?? :D

Mark Stevens

Quote from: TIPandRING on September 14, 2008, 09:42:34 PM
Hey I'm on here too  :-X

You may know me as "Dr. Radio" on the ARF, but I decided on a more appropriate name for this place.

My speciality is the 1950s to 1970s plastic phones, but did restore a 1920s candlestick for a friend.

Can I get the nifty charter member avatar?? :D

Welcome, T&R!  I will fix you up with the avatar, in your own distinctive color... at no extra charge!  I've been welcoming new members individually, but after being gone all day I came home to find out that the bingster opened the flood gate!  So welcome to all, and don't hesitate to drop me a line if you have a problem or suggestion. - Mark

Steve K

Hi Everyone:

I came over from ARF as well! Now-a-days I mainly collect early color TVs but still have my phone collection that I started about 30 years ago.  The last time I counted I had about 125 phones and every so often I still buy one.  Most of my phones are from the 40s to the 60s and are pretty basic sets.  I do have two red 302s which are probably the best ones in the entire collection.  Anyway, I'm happy to join this forum!

Steve

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Steve K on September 14, 2008, 10:25:30 PM
Hi Everyone:

I came over from ARF as well! Now-a-days I mainly collect early color TVs but still have my phone collection that I started about 30 years ago.  The last time I counted I had about 125 phones and every so often I still buy one.  Most of my phones are from the 40s to the 60s and are pretty basic sets.  I do have two red 302s which are probably the best ones in the entire collection.  Anyway, I'm happy to join this forum!

Steve

Welcome, Steve!  That's funny about the 125 phones.  I used to aggressively collect '50s TV lamps, but don't acquire new ones as often now... but I've got around 300 of them, all over the house!
Red 302's... nice.

Bill Cahill

Well, as most  here know, I'm also an ARF refugee...
I collect antique tv's, radios, record players,  wind up phonographs, and, of course, records......
My favorite in the wind up line is Edison.
;D Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Tony V

I'm from ARF and also the Audiokarma forums. I collect and restore old radio's, tube tv's, phonographs, victrola's, edison machines, clocks, jukeboxes...just about anything from days past. I also love and have a few old rotary telephones. Its nice to see some old faces and new. From what i see so far, i think i'm going to like it here  :)
-Tony

Dan/Panther

It's great to see so many members that you know from previous sites. It makes me feel more comfortab;e to talk or ask questions about a topic I'm rapidly trying to learn about.
A great bunch from ARF so far, with most ARF members sharing other than just Radios, and a base of 5000 plus members, Mark I think you are about to get real busy.
I see no problem with using a handle from another site if that is what you feel comfortable being known as.
I should talk, Mark started calling me, D/P, and it's short for Dan/Panther.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 24, 2008, 01:48:33 PM
A great bunch from ARF so far, with most ARF members sharing other than just Radios, and a base of 5000 plus members, Mark I think you are about to get real busy.
I see no problem with using a handle from another site if that is what you feel comfortable being known as.

Busy is good!  This forum is really just a devious scheme to surround myself with knowledgeable people... and my plan is really coming together!

D/P is a term of affection... 'cause ah just loves yew Panther-Baby!  :-*
(oh, that's just wrong... )

Bill Cahill

Quote from: Mark Stevens on September 24, 2008, 04:21:05 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 24, 2008, 01:48:33 PM

Busy is good!  This forum is really just a devious scheme to surround myself with knowledgeable people... and my plan is really coming together!

D/P is a term of affection... 'cause ah just loves yew Panther-Baby!  :-*
(oh, that's just wrong... )

Or, another term might be "Dip Pan".   :D

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."