News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

USPS Shenanigans

Started by Sargeguy, May 14, 2013, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

they must of.... because he got them....
John

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on December 11, 2015, 06:27:49 AM
Oh no!   Opa Locka Part II, the sequel.

Ordered an item from a seller in Fort Lauderdale and when checking the tracking, was extremely disappointed to see the package is now in OPA LOCKA. It has now been sitting there, somewhere, for more than a day. I was hoping to get it before Christmas but that is deeply in doubt now. Well, on the good side, it may never again need a battery to work and I'll always be able to find it in the dark.

Bought an item from a seller in Fort Lauderdale on May 10. Oh, no, not again! Yes, it arrived by USPS First Class Mail in OPA LOCKA on May 11th, yesterday, and 24 hours later it's still there . . .    >:(

I was hoping to get it by the Fourth of July, here's hoping . . .

Stay tuned.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on May 12, 2016, 10:00:24 PM
Bought an item from a seller in Fort Lauderdale on May 10. Oh, no, not again! Yes, it arrived by USPS First Class Mail in OPA LOCKA on May 11th, yesterday, and 24 hours later it's still there . . .    >:(

I was hoping to get it by the Fourth of July, here's hoping . . .

Stay tuned.

...Better make it an early Christmas present to yourself--Opa Locka is like the Bermuda Triangle for USPS
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Sargeguy

I ordered a book as a Mother's Day gift and paid extra so that it would arrive by Mother's Day.  It was shown as "out for delivery" on Saturday but  the mail was never delivered.  At 5pm it was marked as delivery attempted, no safe delivery location, notice left.  I was home all day working in my front yard.  There was no notice left and the same package was dumped on my porch on Monday. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Sargeguy on May 13, 2016, 08:02:01 AM
I ordered a book as a Mother's Day gift and paid extra so that it would arrive by Mother's Day.  It was shown as "out for delivery" on Saturday but  the mail was never delivered.  At 5pm it was marked as delivery attempted, no safe delivery location, notice left.  I was home all day working in my front yard.  There was no notice left and the same package was dumped on my porch on Monday. 

We went through a period of at least a few years here without an assigned letter carrier, so mail was delivered irregularly by various carriers on overtime.  On many weeks, we had deliveries on only 3-4 days.  Packages were frequently marked as 'delivery attempted' late in the evenings of the days that they were supposed to have been delivered.  Some packages arrived several days late.  I was told by people at the USPS that the problem was that the union contract prohibited the USPS from assigning a carrier to our route while the one who was supposed to have been assigned claimed an undisclosed disability.

Fortunately, we finally have an assigned carrier, though the mail on my street is seldom delivered before 5 PM, usually closer to 6.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Normally I have pretty good luck with the U.S. Postal Service.  Here is another example of a box getting on the wrong plane, so to speak.

I sold an item on ebay this past weekend.  Due to the 4th of July holiday on Monday, I dropped off the box to the buyer on Tuesday morning---early, like 6:30 AM.  It's is bound for Colombus, OH from the Detroit, MI area.  How long could that take?

Here it is Saturday and the buyer still doesn't have the item.  I went Two-Day Priority.  The last tracking information shows it in Texas.  Seems odd to send a package from Detroit to Texas then to Ohio.  I'm just hoping it ultimately arrives in one piece.  So much for being prompt.

~Dennis

TelePlay

Both of you are fortunate it didn't get routed to Opa Locka for if it did, the turn around time would have been 2 weeks instead of the 2 hours in Texas. It might even get delivered Monday, maybe, if it doesn't get re-routed to Ohio through Opa Locka . . .

TelePlay

OPA LOCKA doesn't work both ways. I've had problems most of the time I bought anything from South Florida. Had a buyer from boca Raton buy an item. Sale date, 12/2. Delivered to US Post Office on 12/2 using First Class Mail. Left Wisconsin at 1:30 AM on 12/3. It departed OPA LOCKA on 12/6 and it arrived at OPA LOCKA on 12/6. Why it got a departure scan before the arrival scan boggles the mind. Anyway, It's now 12/9 and is still in transit to Boca Raton, not been received by the local post office as of noon on 12/9. Might be delivered tomorrow, 12/10 and if not, Monday 12/12, maybe . . .

Bought 12/2. Shipped First Class Mail departing on 12/3. Today is 12/9 and it hasn't reached the Boca Raton PO as of noon, 6 days.

Shipped another item to a buyer in Maynard, MA, on 12/5 using First Class Mail and it was delivered on 12/8.

Shipped another item to a buyer in Boca Raton, FL on 12/5 using First Class Mail and it was delivered on 12/9 - but that item went to the West Palm Beach sorting center, not the black hole known as OPA LOCKA.

So, two buyers had stuff shipped 3 days after the first buyer and they got their stuff while the first buyer is still waiting . . .  ???

Kind of makes me want to tour the OPA LOCKA sorting center to see just what the heck goes on in that building.

TelePlay

Tracking says the box was delivered today, December 10th, that would be 8 days from purchase to delivery by First Class Mail.

Asked my regular mail carrier today if she knew anything about the Opa Locka sorting center. She didn't. I thought it might be notorious due to past actions, or maybe more like little, late or no action on some mail passing through their doors.

10 days to Boca Raton through the Opa Locka sorting center, 4 days to Boca Raton through West Palm Beach sorting center and 3 days to Maynard, MA, and all about the same sized package and by way of First Class Mail.  :-\

TelePlay

Another example of USPS gone wrong . . .

Sold something to a guy in Princeton, Illinois. That's about 166 miles from Waukesha to his house. Left our sorting center in Oak Creek on Tuesday night.

Showed up in St. Louis, Missouri on Wednesday. That's 420 miles from Oak Creek and 266 miles PAST Princeton Illinois. Guess they forgot to kick the package out of the back door as they drove past or flew over Princeton on the way to St. Louis.

One thing I noticed about the USPS is when a parcel is routed wrongly, they do their best to get it to the final destination overnight. The package is out for delivery in Princeton Illinois today, Thursday. Two day delivery for a First Class package to an address only 166 miles away is very good. A 166 mile trip took 586 miles when all is said and done.

Guess the sorting machines don't always work. When I saw it was in St. Louis, first thing that came to mind was why didn't it go to Chicago, Peroria, Bloomington or even Princeton directly. One never knows but they do correct their errors, unless, of course, you are dealing with OPA LOCKA . . .  :o

LarryInMichigan

I once bought something from a seller in Tilbury, ON, which is about 50 miles east from here.  Probably because it was an international shipment, the package had to first travel another 160 miles east to Toronto and then west to Chicago before it could come back 300 miles east to southeast Michigan.

Larry

Dennis Markham

I got a card (1st class mail) yesterday (December 28th).  The sender lives in Georgia (I'm in Michigan). It was postmarked Pensacola, FL on December 10th.  I guess things like that happen once in a while.

~Dennis

LarryInMichigan

Every time I send a First Class package to Dennis (about 22 miles away), it takes five days or so.

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 29, 2016, 02:40:45 PM
I once bought something from a seller in Tilbury, ON, which is about 50 miles east from here.  Probably because it was an international shipment, the package had to first travel another 160 miles east to Toronto and then west to Chicago before it could come back 300 miles east to southeast Michigan.

Larry

Had to go through the Southern Ontario 4A Crossbar Toll Switch that routed the call item to the Chicago Illinois 4A Toll Switch before routing to the end office.

Terry