News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello, Mr. Milhouse?

Started by Phonesrfun, October 13, 2009, 12:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Who here is old enough to remember Lily Tomlin (snort)

One ringy dingy... Two ringy dingies...

-Bill G

McHeath

Wasn't she of the "We are the phone company, we don't care, we don't have to" line? 

Dennis Markham

Here is one of her skits........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9e3dTOJi0o&feature=related
( dead link 04-04-22 )

Phonesrfun

Quote from: McHeath on October 13, 2009, 12:09:43 AM
Wasn't she of the "We are the phone company, we don't care, we don't have to" line? 

The very one.
-Bill G

bwanna

thx for the video, dennis. started my day with a good chuckle. ;D

remember how laugh-in was considered risque in it's day :o
donna

jsowers

She would always say "Is this the party to whom I am speaking?" And then start with some mispronounced name. Two I remember are Mr. Veedol (for Gore Vidal) and Mr. Fubuckley (for William F. Buckley). Then she would snort and put her fingers down her blouse. It was pretty risque and topical for the time, but I was a kid and all I got then was the funny character. This was the era when Ma Bell still ruled and the phones belonged to the company.
Jonathan

Dan

Good stuff. Anyone over 40 probably remembers  her!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

We watched Laugh In and I confess that I always wondered what the joke was on much of it.  My wife's family was not allowed to watch it as it was too crass, luckily for me my folks had no such scruples.  :)

jiggerman

Very funny !!! I always liked Lily Tomlin. Thanks for posting. I want a switchboard just  like the one she's sitting at. Maybe someday. Jiggerman

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 13, 2009, 12:06:42 AM
Who here is old enough to remember Lily Tomlin (snort)

One ringy dingy... Two ringy dingies...

Watch it whipper snapper.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

DavePEI

Quote from: jiggerman on October 14, 2009, 06:35:25 AM
Very funny !!! I always liked Lily Tomlin. Thanks for posting. I want a switchboard just  like the one she's sitting at. Maybe someday. Jiggerman
I always introduce my 555 switch board to museum visitors as the same type she sat at - works for the older generation, but for the younger ones, they still  have no idea of what I am referring to  :)
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Just recorded and watched a "Rowan & Martin's Laugh In" 1.5 hour PBS special a day or two ago.

Terry

HowardPgh

And a Gracious good afternoon to you Dave,
You should put a picture of Ms. Tomlin at her switchboard with your display. I always liked her outrageus earrings and snorty expressions.
Howard
Howard