News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

White insert on switch hook knob.

Started by Greg G., August 04, 2009, 04:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

What was the purpose of this?  This was on my '59 project phone.  It appears that there was probably a clear top part that went over it, but it's missing.  The white insert also appears to be broken at the top, probably was rounded at one time.  It would be nice to keep it as original as I can, but for now I swapped the knob with a plain clear plastic one from a parts phone.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

jsowers

I've never seen anything like it. Could it be someone's modification to make a broken plunger work again? I guess if you didn't have spare parts, it would work to add something to the plastic plunger to make it long enough again. I've seen missing plungers from 500 sets, and exclusion plungers, and clear Princess plungers with the little side piece broken, but not this. With it being a bit off-center, I'd say that wasn't a factory modification too.

Maybe it was a place to hide microfilm?  ;)
Jonathan

Greg G.

Quote from: jsowers on August 04, 2009, 04:12:20 PM
I've never seen anything like it. Could it be someone's modification to make a broken plunger work again? I guess if you didn't have spare parts, it would work to add something to the plastic plunger to make it long enough again. I've seen missing plungers from 500 sets, and exclusion plungers, and clear Princess plungers with the little side piece broken, but not this. With it being a bit off-center, I'd say that wasn't a factory modification too.

That could very well be.  The top of the clear part is rough and the hole not dead center.  Why somebody would go to all that trouble is a mystery.  They also rigged up some of that grey wire to get it to work.  My only guess is it was a boot-legged extension at one time.  This phone was in a work shop of some sort, so they may have had the tools, skills and patience to modify, but no real replacement parts.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

I think I recognize that white plastic piece.  Is it soft and a little bendy?  It looks like a marker from the "Battleship" game, that's been pressed into service as a plunger.
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on August 04, 2009, 04:29:58 PM
I think I recognize that white plastic piece.  Is it soft and a little bendy?  It looks like a marker from the "Battleship" game, that's been pressed into service as a plunger.

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is.  I still remember that old commercial that went something like this: "D-1!".  "Miss!".  "B-3!"  "You sunk my battleship!" (Sound of Naval horn blasting).  We used to play the game long before it came out on the market using scrap grid paper. 

Anyway, at least I know I don't have to worry about keeping that part "original".
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

HobieSport

What amazes me is that Bingster recognized the "Battleship" game peg. What an eye for detail some folks have here. Really. I used to think I had pretty sharp eyes. My eyesight is okay, but I don't always recognize the little details. Or maybe that's just because phones are pretty new to me, so I just don't have "a trained eye".
-Matt

Greg G.

Hey, I got an idea!  I'll turn it into a lamp!  hahahahahaha!!  ::)
- Mike Row
e

foots

I have seen phones with one clear plunger and one white one, but the white was one that could be pulled up for call exclusion.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan/Panther

Quote from: foots on August 05, 2009, 12:18:36 PM
I have seen phones with one clear plunger and one white one, but the white was one that could be pulled up for call exclusion.

Foots;
I'm sure you are correct it's just broken off..
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on August 05, 2009, 02:50:46 PM
Quote from: foots on August 05, 2009, 12:18:36 PM

Foots;
I'm sure you are correct it's just broken off..
D/P

I don't think so in this case.  Everything else about the phone and the plunger is normal other than the plunger appears to be modified.  A couple of pdf's I found regarding exclusion plungers.  Go to page 5 on the first link, page 7 on the second.

http://www.porticus.org/bell/pdf/multibutton1.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/lh27ak
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Greg:

I think you are absolutely correct that this is not a remnant of an exclusion switch.  It does not look like one, and as you say, if it were, there would be other evidence of a switch being in place inside the phone.

As to what it is, is anyone's guess.  But.... I suppose everyone has been guessing....

-Bill
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

I agree after closer look, it's not exclusion knob. Maybe some home brew idea.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

foots

I was merely commenting on jsowers saying he had never seen anything like that. As far as whats on  Brinybay's phone is anybody's guess.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Phonesrfun

Foots, I am sorry if my post stating what it wasn't was going to step on your toes.  I had not read back in time to see who had said what.  I had not followed this thread for several days.

I was just agreeing with Brinybay's conclusion that it was not an exclusion switch.

-Bill
-Bill G