News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A phoney Christmas - Christmas 2008 Presents

Started by McHeath, December 26, 2008, 12:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

I had a very phoney Christmas, with two boxes under the tree containing relic from another time phones.

First was an Ericofon from Robert Rose's website ericrofon.com.  It's crystal mint green and dang if it don't look like it's brand spanking new!  Amazingly light weight, I'd never seen one in person before this, and it works great as well.  Looks like he replaced the gasket on the bottom, the line cord and the transmitter, and then cleaned it all up.  The case is flawless, as is the dial face and gee pretty much all of it.  I can't find any noticeable wear.

Next up is a Western Electric 500.  It's either aqua or turquoise, have not checked inside yet for the code, but it's pretty much unfaded.  Has a G6 handset with the volume control, and the original line with 4 prong plug that must be 25 feet long!  It's dated 10/66, and it will need a good clean up.

I will post some pics later today.  

What did ya'll get in the way of phones?  

bingster

I got a white 500 today.  I bought it myself just before Christmas, so it was a gift to myself.  It was originally an 11/57 set, but it was refurbed in 1974.  It's got one of those great thick mounting cords with the heavy collar at the base, and I do like those.  The dial card bears the Michigan area code 616, with a 347 exchange.
= DARRIN =

PSGreg

McHeath,
                      Do all 500's have the color coded inside them?  I have a 500 which I'm not certain is blue or aqua. What about other models like the Princess, do they do this as well?
Best,
          Greg

McHeath

Okay, here is the Ericofon in all it's glory:

McHeath

A few more Ericofon shots:

McHeath

Now for the WE 500 from 10/1966:

McHeath

Now for some shots of the very interesting G6 handset.  The modules inside it were made in August of 1963, and it is surprisingly complex for the time period. 

McHeath

QuoteDo all 500's have the color coded inside them?  I have a 500 which I'm not certain is blue or aqua. What about other models like the Princess, do they do this as well?
Best,

I know that most 500s have a color code on the underside of the dial, and the web site below has the codes for what number code is what:

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#Colors

I don't know if the Princess has that code or where it would be, but I'm sure that some of our phone experts here do know.

bingster

Wow... that handset is PACKED with stuff.  I've never seen inside one of those, and I had no idea they could fit so much in there.  Great photo.

Nice Ericofon!  It's a beautiful color.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

My Oak wall phone, has very low volume of the earpiece. That little gadget may be my repair for the volume.
I just happen to have an extra handset like that made in Canada, on a newer 500. I could trade the handset and use the amp.
I had no idea that much was in there either.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

I cleaned the 500 and tried it out, it works, as usual.  No ring, as usual.  The amplified handset is a trip!  It will go so loud that you get feedback whine, and it will deafen you!  If you did not need an amplified handset before you will after putting this thing at full volume for a while.  It seems that the lowest setting, "0" on the dial, is pretty much normal, and above that is magnified sound, then at "9" it goes into full blown feedback mode.  If you cover the transmitter with your hand the feedback whine stops, but it's still super loud.

Dan

my mother in law who died about a decade ago, had a white rotary with an amplified handset. It's really the phone that got me back into old phones.

They are super loud!

Wow, your Ericophon has a vintage ericophon.com sticker inside. That company was ahead of there time, making a website 40 years before the internet came around ;D
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bingster

Quote from: Dan/Panther on December 26, 2008, 08:03:14 PM
My Oak wall phone, has very low volume of the earpiece. That little gadget may be my repair for the volume.
'Twould probably be easier to just put the newer receiver element inside the receiver housing.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Cleaned up the 500.  Found a small hole in the handset cord, you can just see it.  Sadly there is a little bit of yellowing to the housing, which you can also see.  May have to try Dennis' idea of sanding the case.

bingster

The yellowing really isn't bad on yours, though.  The white one I just got had similar slight yellowing on the handset.  I scrubbed the handset with Bon Ami, and it came right off.  I had to take some Brasso to it afterward, because the Bon Ami dulled the finish a bit, but it all worked out better than I thought it would.
= DARRIN =