News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

VINTAGE OLD FASHION BELL SYSTEM TELEPHONE

Started by Perry, February 05, 2009, 02:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

Where's my checkbook? Whare's my checkbook?
Lucy!
Wha'd you do wi' mi checibook!?
:D Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Perry

It's a good thing that you waited. The phone is now relisted at a lower price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160314987770 ( dead link 03-31-21 )

Dennis Markham

HobieSport

...and still retains his excellent description...

Konrad

I'm sorry I don't understand why a 302 is not a Lucy? (Tongue firmly planted in cheek)

HobieSport

(Toungue in cheek, continued...)
Well, Konrad, the seller has explained it perfectly clearly:

"PLEASE DONT COMPARE THIS TO THE "LUCY SHOW" AS WELL ALL KNOW THEY US PROPTS.THIS IS AUTHENTIC....SO STOP COMPARING TOTHE "LUCY" PHONE YOU SEE N THE SHOW THEY US A PROTOTYPE...NOT A REAL PHONE."

Clear as day.

Wait a minute.  A prototype and/or prop that was used in the Lucy Show?  Do you know what THAT would be worth?  Uh Oh.  I'm thinking of an evil question to ask the seller...Poor guy... ;D

HobieSport

Okay, well... I couldn't take it any longer so I asked the seller:

"Hello,

I am a collector of rare Western Electric Model 302s.  I read your description very carefully, and I am sorry to ask a question but I am still a little bit unclear.

At first I thought it was either a prototype 302, or a prop 302 that was used on the "I love Lucy" show. That would make your phone very valuable.

But a regular black 302 can easily be bought on Ebay for around $30. un-refurbished, to $180.if completely refurbished. If you go on Ebay and search for "Western Electric 302" you can see what I mean.

So I'm sorry but I simply don't understand your price.  It may be very important to you that it was your great great grandmothers, and I respect that, but a buyer or collector is not interested in that.  They want something rare, and a regular black 302 is not rare.

Still, I wish you the best of luck for the best price for your phone and I'm sincerely sorry that you have to sell your great-great-grandmothers' telephone in these difficult times.  Good Luck Sir."

I just hope he doesn't freak out and ban me from Ebay forever...

bingster

= DARRIN =

McHeath

You are trouble!   ::)

Any minute now I feel that he's going to score on this phone, someone will press that BIN and baby will get some new shoes.

Wait, what's that sound, oh, it' a squadron of pigs flying out of LA.

mienaichizu

Quote from: HobieSport on February 09, 2009, 06:55:03 PM
Okay, well... I couldn't take it any longer so I asked the seller:

"Hello,

I am a collector of rare Western Electric Model 302s.  I read your description very carefully, and I am sorry to ask a question but I am still a little bit unclear.

At first I thought it was either a prototype 302, or a prop 302 that was used on the "I love Lucy" show. That would make your phone very valuable.

But a regular black 302 can easily be bought on Ebay for around $30. un-refurbished, to $180.if completely refurbished. If you go on Ebay and search for "Western Electric 302" you can see what I mean.

So I'm sorry but I simply don't understand your price.  It may be very important to you that it was your great great grandmothers, and I respect that, but a buyer or collector is not interested in that.  They want something rare, and a regular black 302 is not rare.

Still, I wish you the best of luck for the best price for your phone and I'm sincerely sorry that you have to sell your great-great-grandmothers' telephone in these difficult times.  Good Luck Sir."

I just hope he doesn't freak out and ban me from Ebay forever...

did he replied on your question?

HobieSport

Nope he hasn't replied yet and everyone here will be the first to know if he does.  All kidding aside I'm feeling a little weird about asking it, sort of creepy and sneaky.  I just really want to know if he's simply delusional or is trying to pull a scam.  His language and tactics just scream of a scam but I could of course be wrong.  I really don't like scams and what I'm doing is called scam-baiting, which is a con against a con.  But maybe he's just some poor guy trying to make a buck for his baby's shoes, ya know?

Whatever the case, if he switches his description of the phone to it being a prototype or a prop from the Lucy Show then we'll know he isn't honest.  If he's just a guy trying to get the highest price for his family phone then I just let him know that he might want to lower his expectations.  I also won't be surprised if he doesn't respond at all.  Just watch out for any future 302s that are advertised as THE Lucy Phone.  The original.  Touched by the goddess Lucy and King Ricky themselves and the whole cast and crew.  With pictures all over the internet as irrefutable proof.  Or some dark and mysterious prototype from Henry Dreyfuss' long lost dank and moldy garage...smelling of stale Fritos...(evil laugh).

Okay, fine.  I admit.  I'm just a troublemaker sometimes too.

HobieSport

Well, still no reply as of Tuesday morning and considering what Konrad noticed about the wooden horse and chair that they now have for sale and how they haven't figured out the correct shipping for those items (see parallel thread,

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=587.0  )

I tend to agree that they are simple ignorant, and not trying to pull an evil scam.
So I'll stop bothering them and I just pity the fools. Here again is their latest listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160314987770
( dead link 03-31-21 )

So, moving on...

Dennis Markham

I agree, time to move on.  We've pretty much established this seller may be a wing nut and I'm pretty sure no one on this forum will buy that phone.   I "borrowed" the attachment from the ATCA List.  One of the guys there always posts it when an issue has been pretty much beaten into the ground.  I hope no one takes offense....

HobieSport

Sincere apologies to the group that I got so wrapped up (maybe obsessed is the word.) in that weirdness.  It was just new to me and I couldn't let it go until I sort of understood it.  If there is a "next time" I'll just try to ignore it.
So thanks Dennis and everyone and yes, let's move on to the better, finer, and more positive things in telephony.
Sincerely, -Matt

Dennis Markham

Matt, no need to apologize for anything.  My little Horse Beater wasn't directed at your specifically, but all of us.  I was just expressing my opinion that we'd pretty much covered it.  I meant no offense.