and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Forum Software Update

Started by Dennis Markham, December 21, 2013, 07:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: tallguy58 on December 22, 2013, 04:23:56 PM
Still can't see some avatars and some photos  :'( :'(
Give us links to the ones you can't see. Many photos in the past were hosted off the Forum and the links are no longer good, having noting to do with the updates...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

paul-f

Quote from: DavePEI on December 22, 2013, 04:25:59 PM
Quote from: tallguy58 on December 22, 2013, 04:23:56 PM
Still can't see some avatars and some photos  :'( :'(
Give us links to the ones you can't see. Many photos in the past were hosted off the Forum and the links are no longer good, having noting to do with the updates...

Dave
I still can't see photos in the messages cited earlier - using IE9.  They are visible using Firefox.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10803.msg115259#msg115259
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

tallguy58

Here's a recent one:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10796.0

No pics of the toolbox

Teleplay, WEBellsystemChristian, Matilo Telephones

Using IE9
Cheers........Bill

DavePEI

They are all there for me using Firefox. It has to be an IE thing...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Quote from: DavePEI on December 22, 2013, 04:38:12 PMIt has to be an IE thing...

That's why IE is the best browser, to download another browser to replace it... ;D

Mr. Bones

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 22, 2013, 04:47:54 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on December 22, 2013, 04:38:12 PMIt has to be an IE thing...

That's why IE is the best browser, to download another browser to replace it... ;D
You said it, twocv!!! Lol!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

twocvbloke

Quote from: Mr. Bones on December 22, 2013, 04:53:03 PMYou said it, twocv!!! Lol!

Technically it was someone else, I just like repeating it... ;D

Dave Zemens

@tallguy58:  Not sure what to tell you about Internet Explorer. I've tested that post with the tool box photo in current versions of Firefox, Safari & Google Chrome and the images and avatars work great. I switched from Internet Explorer over a decade ago.  It's better than it was then, but still is deficient as a browser.
Dave Zemens
1955 Design | Rochester, Michigan
Website Design & Development
Custom WordPress Themes & Plugins

Mr. Bones

Well, it was nice while it lasted, but now the (only mildly annoying) ads are back in the upper LH.

For a brief, shining moment, nothing inhabited that area, except the PayPal donate area. Sigh.

I tested this out last night, in order to make sure that Dennis' PayPal was working properly. I am sure that you are all welcome to do the same, in order to assure the site is once again fully functional, and will continue to be. ;) How often do you get to be a Beta / Field tester?

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Nick in Manitou

I am probably being a bit thick, but all of a sudden, the first posting I see on a topic is the most recent instead of the original (oldest) posting on the topic.

Is there a setting somewhere that I need to reset, or should I just get used to the new world order?

I am using Firefox at the moment.

Nick

TelePlay

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on December 22, 2013, 05:40:56 PM
I am probably being a bit thick, but all of a sudden, the first posting I see on a topic is the most recent instead of the original (oldest) posting on the topic.

Is there a setting somewhere that I need to reset, or should I just get used to the new world order?

I am using Firefox at the moment.

Nick

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10803.msg115280#msg115280

and

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10803.msg115339#msg115339

HarrySmith

Quote from: tallguy58 on December 22, 2013, 04:34:06 PM
Here's a recent one:

No pics of the toolbox

Using IE9

Again, I am getting the same thing. I am downloading the newest IE while we speak. I will let you know if it helps.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 22, 2013, 05:54:45 PM
Quote from: tallguy58 on December 22, 2013, 04:34:06 PM
Here's a recent one:

No pics of the toolbox

Using IE9

Again, I am getting the same thing. I am downloading the newest IE while we speak. I will let you know if it helps.

Harry,

Over the past 12 hours, I've seen avatars and photos go and come and go and come and go . . .

I'm running several different versions of IE on XP and W7 platforms and there is no consistency. One hour, they are all there. The next, some are gone. The following hour, they are all back. I assume this is part of what's being done behind the scenes and will just wait a week or so to see if it remains a consistant intermittent problem or becomes resolved over time.

Dave Zemens

Make no mistake, the "missing" images in Internet Explorer are not a function of what's going on behind the scenes. I am doing nothing behind the scenes any longer. The images are all "there" and not "missing" at all. Why Internet Explorer does not properly render them is unknown - other than the fact that it's been widely recognized for over ten years as a non-standards compliant web browser that does not follow accepted practices.

No need to download the "newest version" of Internet Explorer. It won't work properly either. Just as the version before it didn't and the version before that one didn't etc. etc.

The photos are as good as they are going to be for folks choosing to use Internet Explorer. The browser is what is broken, not the forum.
Dave Zemens
1955 Design | Rochester, Michigan
Website Design & Development
Custom WordPress Themes & Plugins

paul-f

Quote from: Dave Zemens on December 22, 2013, 06:09:25 PM
Make no mistake, the "missing" images in Internet Explorer are not a function of what's going on behind the scenes. I am doing nothing behind the scenes any longer. The images are all "there" and not "missing" at all. Why Internet Explorer does not properly render them is unknown - other than the fact that it's been widely recognized for over ten years as a non-standards compliant web browser that does not follow accepted practices.

No need to download the "newest version" of Internet Explorer. It won't work properly either. Just as the version before it didn't and the version before that one didn't etc. etc.

The photos are as good as they are going to be for folks choosing to use Internet Explorer. The browser is what is broken, not the forum.

Dave,

While I appreciate your hard work and continuing support, your response is the typical finger-pointing response that makes users livid with software.

The fact remains that the photos worked fine with IE before the update and don't work well now.

While you certainly didn't personally cause the change, something in the software update did.

Given the number of users that are hooked on IE, for whatever reasons, the software developers should do whatever it takes to work with Microsoft to make the user experience as positive as possible.  This is worth a trouble report to the tool provider.

(I have worked in software support during my career, so have been on both sides of this type of situation.)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line