and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wireless 3-slot payphone

Started by Stan S, May 28, 2016, 11:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan S

Talk about a wireless 3-slot payphone.
This one is as wireless as it gets!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-Model-212G-3-Slot-Coin-Telephone-1959-/301968070515

(Take a look at the inside picture.)

Stan S.

RotarDad

Stan - I saw this one also.  From what I've learned through some of our discussions, I noted that the two soldered leads from the pileup to the hopper remain.  This would be a fairly easy restoration, given that.  I believe it is Tony (Trainman) who has one of these post-pay 212s.....

One question - the vault door is dated '57, but has the bevel around the perimeter - I thought that door design was much earlier....??
Paul

Stan S

Paul
If somebody wants or needs(?) a 212, that is a great phone. The missing wiring is universal and easy enough to find. The hard to find parts like the special pile up and the postpay hopper are there.

I enlarged a few of the pictures of the vault door. I think what seems to be a bevel is an optical illusion, caused by the rounded edges of the cast door. Maybe?

Stan S.

trainman

See, Bell Labs was secretly working on wireless.  ;)

RotarDad

I think you're right Stan about the door.  My 7" tablet screen leaves a bit to be desired sometimes.....
Paul

poplar1

I wonder if that 212G was from the TUCSON Pioneer Museum. I didn't see it on the list of auctioned items (May 24).
However, seller (celnout) is from Arizona.
http://online.auctionnation.com/auction/1307
A beige 233G sold for $220 and a black 1234G for $320 at the auction.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Stan S

Poplar
That's logical. Probably the reason for the badge with the model number on the vault door.

There are a few concerns about both of those payphones.

The beige painted front of the upper housing lock bothers me.
The black painted front of the lock on the 1234G-same thing.

The bucket pin sticking out of the 1234G seems a little strange.
The armoring on the handset cable has no locking end on it. Probably the reason the cable fell out of the handset.

I've got a feeling all of those payphones were used only as cosmetic samples.
Who knows what's inside them. If anything.
Stan S.