News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Loud humming noise in 52-500

Started by Greg G., August 04, 2012, 11:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

When AT&T was broken up into Baby Bells (1/1/84?), neither AT&T nor the Bell companies wanted the inside wiring so it was given to the property owners. If you didn't want to be charged for future trouble on the inside wiring, you could continue to have maintenance coverage on the wiring for 50 cents a month, but if the problem was caused by a phone (usually a cheap one-peice phone or a cordless), then you could be charged for the technician visit, unless you paid an additional $1 a month or so for "TIP" (Trouble Isolation Plan). Later they combined the wire maintenance and TIP and the current charge is about $7 a month...they also offer a maintenance plan on the phones (for additional $), but they won't guarantee rotary phones!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Greg G.

The tech came out today, was here about 15 minutes or so, I didn't even seem him leave, but he called (Why? I was here the whole time!) and said he would refer the matter to their "cable guys" to trouble-shoot. 

End-to-end responsibility of the old Bell System is why we have a hobby.  I can't imagine finding a moldy old cell phone at a garage sale that was still functioning, and even if it did, there's no satisfying "clunk" of hitting "End Call".
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

Quote from: Brinybay on August 08, 2012, 03:33:28 AMI can't imagine finding a moldy old cell phone at a garage sale that was still functioning, and even if it did, there's no satisfying "clunk" of hitting "End Call".

I can, and have, I have several old motorola GSM mobile phones (that still work on modern SIM cards) with flip-up mouthpieces, so you get a good "twhapp!!!" when you slam them shut... :D

Must dig those out at some point... :D

poplar1

The tech referred it to the guys with the bucket trucks, AKA "cable repair." He may have called you because he was already down the road at the "cross box" where the "underground" or F1 cable pairs coming in from the central office are cross-connected to the "aerial" or F2 cable pairs going to your subdivision. Chances are he determined that the problem was in the pairs going back toward the C.O. and that there were no spares he could transfer your line to. (Hard to believe that there would be a shortage of spares when so many people are disconnecting their home phones and keeping only cell phones, and businesses are switching to VOIP.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Greg G.

The "bucket guys" were out yesterday working on the line.  The annoyingly loud humming noise is now greatly reduced to a barely discernible background noise.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e