News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Difference between Protel 8000 and 8500?

Started by timmerk, May 31, 2017, 11:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmerk

Anyone know what the differences are between the Protel 8000 and 8500 boards? I'm looking at two eBay auctions:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Protel-8000-Retrofit-Coin-Operate-Kit-for-Western-Electric-Payphone-lot-48-/162536654395

?hash=item25d7f0863b:g:U0cAAOSw241Ym3~z

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Protel-8500-Board-Smart-board-for-Western-Electric-Single-Slot-Payphone-/162536654408

?hash=item25d7f08648:g:EWcAAOSwsW9Y2pd3

I would think the 8500 is "better" since the number is higher, but not sure why the price difference. I bought a 8000 for WE phones for $15 last year, so not sure why the high price of $95 on the second auction. Is the same software used to program both of them?

Thanks!

Payphone installer

The 8000 was designed to fit the standard W/E case to replace the 1C and 1D chassis. It will support the ATT 22B coin chute,the mars chute two different kinds,an the 20A chute from a D set with the electronic coin sensor. It runs on the earlier version of expressnet software. It also runs on the windows version of panorama software. The 8500 chassis fit the same  housing but was used in the Protel Acension which had the scrolling graphics and the card reader like the Nortel Millennium. It is always interesting to me everybody is always interested in the Nortel which will not work but the Protel  Acension will. They look almost exactly the same,you have to have the Panorama software to make the graphics work. Jim

Payphone411

Quote from: Payphone installer on June 01, 2017, 07:22:17 AM
The 8000 was designed to fit the standard W/E case to replace the 1C and 1D chassis. It will support the ATT 22B coin chute,the mars chute two different kinds,an the 20A chute from a D set with the electronic coin sensor. It runs on the earlier version of expressnet software. It also runs on the windows version of panorama software. The 8500 chassis fit the same  housing but was used in the Protel Acension which had the scrolling graphics and the card reader like the Nortel Millennium. It is always interesting to me everybody is always interested in the Nortel which will not work but the Protel  Acension will. They look almost exactly the same,you have to have the Panorama software to make the graphics work. Jim

I got my Protel Acensions to work with just Expressnet. You can change the scrolling messages on the screen under the routing area on the software.
You can see one of my phones in my avatar. I have sold a few and I have to agree with you on why people are so set on having a Nortel