News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Green GPO 706 - With Bell On/Off button...

Started by twocvbloke, December 28, 2014, 01:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Well, it's been a while since I last bought a phone, so, I bid for this on christmas day (great time to bid on things, as there's not many people online!!) and was the only bidder, seems it had been relisted a number of times anyway so I guess it just wasn't described properly, but it's mine for a total of £23... :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131382179174

Main reasons I got it, it's green, has a letters & numbers dial with the correct fingerwheel (metal hub with dial card cover release spring part), it's a 706 (they look nicer than the 746), and it has a bell On/Off switch. Looks like it's already been converted, but the bog-standard beige replacement line cable looks wrong so I'll replace that with a green one at somepoint, built by Plessey of Ilford, Essex, and given that it's from '67 I don't think it'll have Diakon plastics, but, you never know... :)

Not sure when it'll arrive, but, hopefully before next year... ;D

And a couple of pics (slightly adjusted):

twocvbloke

Well, the phone arrived yesterday, I've cleaned it up and rewired it (the conversion seemed only half-done, was halfway between the original wiring and "modernised" wiring, lacking the 3.3k resistor and Rectifier 205) and it works nicely, the plastics have a lot of scratches though, and looking up close there's a lot of crazing in the plastic's surface, so not 100% pretty (and I've yet to brave sanding & polishing!!)...

Still, the standard dial lube job, tidying up and rewiring has resulted in a nice phone regardless, function over form and all, and the bell On/Off switch works a treat, not sure how it affects the phone's REN value when the ringer's turned off (probably 0 REN) but either way it works... :)

I haven't taken any pictures of it yet, need to do a lot of rearranging in my room to put up new shelves, just need to work up the effort to get on with it... ;D