News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sharing Forum Links

Started by DavePEI, July 12, 2014, 06:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

I noticed something this morning related to the new Forum software upgrade...

I went to share a link to one of my messages to the TCI list.

Normally, all one would have to do it to copy the URL of the page and send it unwrapped.

Now, with the new option in this version to view the latest message first (which I have selected in my profile) if you have this option selected, it is necessary to actually view the message you wish to send a link to, click on the hyperlink at the top of the message, and this adds the message number to the URL at the top of the page (copy that URL then) - if you don't, they will get a link to only the first message in the thread.

Just thought I would mention this in case anyone is having trouble referring people to a particular message.

This appears to be caused by the new option, and not a problem, but you do need to be aware of it.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

unbeldi

I do not think this has changed.
The link that is displayed in the browser depends on how you arrived at the page. You have to make sure that it contains the message parameter and not just the topic parameter.  The URI from the immediate title of a message contains the msg parameter, while higher level titles do not--as one would expect actually.

The option to display the most recent article first in a thread is also not new. I have used it since the first day I joined, and for many more years on other forums (SMF or otherwise).

DavePEI

Quote from: unbeldi on July 12, 2014, 09:52:16 AM
I do not think this has changed.
The link that is displayed in the browser depends on how you arrived at the page. You have to make sure that it contains the message parameter and not just the topic parameter.  The URI from the immediate title of a message contains the msg parameter, while higher level titles do not--as one would expect actually.

The option to display the most recent article first in a thread is also not new. I have used it since the first day I joined, and for many more years on other forums (SMF or otherwise).

Well, something has most certainly changed. I have passed along the address of various CRPF posts dozens of times, and this is the first time that the links didn't take the recipient directly to the message intended.

This is new, and has happened after I set my options to display the most recent message first. I tried and retried it this morning, and every time, it was necessary to go the extra step, which I never had to before.

The point still remains - if you wish to share a particular link to someone off the board, it is necessary to share the URL including message number, which was the point of this post. Otherwise, it will go to the first message in the thread, and not to the message you wished to share.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001