News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Screen Too Wide, Can't Reply - IE & Firefox

Started by Perry, November 07, 2008, 02:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

I've had no problems, and use either Apple's Safari or Firefox as IE does not work on Macs anymore. 

Phonesrfun

Seems to be working now, so upgrading the forum software must have made the difference.  Thanks, Dennis!
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

You're welcome.  I should have done that in the first place.  Since it wasn't that long ago since I updated the software I figured I had the latest version.  It took all of 15 seconds once I discovered where to do it.  Let's see how it goes.

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Thanks for the update. I was concerned it was a major problem with my opersating system browser, I really didn't want to change. Thanks again.
O.K everyone put your checkbooks away.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

I received a personal message from Bill Cahill stating he is having a problem with the Forum software.  Here is what he wrote:

Every time someone posts pictures The entire posts runs off the page, and, I have no bar at bottom to move it so I can click on things, such as going back to the listing page.
It's o.k. on posts with no pictures. Only acts up with pictures.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Thanks

Phonesrfun

I have that problem when I view the forum from my computer at work.  It is frustrating. 

By the way, the problem of the jumpy text when I do a reply has returned.  It does not seem to be the case if I use the quick-reply, however.  Go figure.
-Bill G

Bill Cahill

You too? Just tonight, near the bottom of a post I was doing, I was getting jumpy words.  That also happens on my e mail.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 05, 2009, 10:47:07 PM
I received a personal message from Bill Cahill stating he is having a problem with the Forum software.  Here is what he wrote:

Every time someone posts pictures The entire posts runs off the page, and, I have no bar at bottom to move it so I can click on things, such as going back to the listing page.
It's o.k. on posts with no pictures. Only acts up with pictures.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Thanks

Only on certain posts where for some reason the pictures are side-by-side.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

None of these problems have happened to me, knock on wood. 

Dan/Panther

Bill;
Could it be you are zoomed in with Zoom text ?
This will happen to me if someone has posted a photo that is too large. If we size our pictures to 640X480 or something in that range, it should never be a problem.
I haven't had the jumping problem with replies for some time. It seems to jump around.
D/P

Dennis Markham

I have poured over the Simple Machines maintenance section of the forum.  I have gone to the automatic error check (none found) and made sure that we are using the latest version.  All systems seem to be good from the software side.  Bill, if you have your browser set for larger font that could be a reason that things don't fit.  Just a guess.

The jumping cursor that we had in the past seemed to be cured when I updated the software several months ago.  I'll continue to read the Q&A on the Simple Machine's forum to see if I see others experiencing the same problems.  The incidents seem to be so isolated that it could be individual computers.  Just guessing on that one though.

Bill Cahill

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 06, 2009, 12:26:54 AM
Bill;
Could it be you are zoomed in with Zoom text ?
This will happen to me if someone has posted a photo that is too large. If we size our pictures to 640X480 or something in that range, it should never be a problem.
I haven't had the jumping problem with replies for some time. It seems to jump around.
D/P

Shows what you know. Zoomtext absolutely does NOT cut things like this.

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

Bill;
Dennis and I just gave you a suggestion.
D/P

Bill Cahill

Zoomtext merely enlarges the entire picture. It doesn't show cutoffs when photos are involved. Thats' the only time it happens.
Zoomtext is not a mannually run program.
It is set by the user to make the entire picture larger according to their confort level.
Starts at X1.2 magnification, and, goes up to X8 magnification.
I always use it at X3 magnification.
If it were that program causing the trouble, it would cut things off all the time.
It doesn't. ONly when there are photos installed.
Bill Cahill

Phonesrfun

Maybe I have found a thing to help my jumping cursor.

I am running IE 8 with Windows Vista.

Up at the top of the browser just to the right of the URL bar and just to the left of the refresh button, there is an icon that looks like a ripped page.  Waving my mouse over the icon it says:  "Compatability View:  websites designed for older browsers will often look better, and problems such as out of place menus, images, or text will be corrected."

My initial test of this seems to keep the jumping cursor in my long-winded reply messages from happening.  When I click the icon, a box comes up and says that the page is running in compatability view, but I do not see anything else that looks different.  I am purposely typing a long message here to see if I get the jumping cursor of if it behaves itself.

At this part of my reply, it is now at the point where the jumping cursor would be a problem and is not at this moment. 

So, I will keep my eye on it.  Maybe this will help with the picture scrolling problem too.

-Bill G