News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

XLink BTTN is a Tone Converter ?

Started by George Knighton, January 27, 2013, 08:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Knighton

I searched around a little bit and didn't see any talk about this.  I even commented in another thread that I was sorry that some of the BTTN's functions evinced in the software wouldn't work on our rotary phones.

This morning, I wanted to test the six-conductor wire of my WE 515 in the BTTN, to see if it would work.

It works fine, and I discovered in the process that I appeared to be sending DTMF.

I dialed the DC weather to make sure it'd call out and the sound was good.  After listening for a while, and knowing (erroneously) that it was a waste of time, I dialed "1" to get to a menu item.  I was surprised that it worked.

Interesting.

So I dialed one of my stores in Prince William, which I knew was closed and that I'd get the menu system.  I was able to dial "0" to get past the recording to a different menu, and was able to navigate with a "1" and a "2." 

Interesting.

So I went for the ultimate test and called a bank automated system to see if I could enter all those digits.  Was able to enter digits to say what I was after, was able to enter their security information and credit card number...it worked great.

Now...this particular bank asks for me to press "*" to do something...but recognised a "1" as a YES as well as a "*" and I have no idea if other menu systems are set up like that.

So that'd be the weakness in trying to navigate menu systems. 

The XLink has no "*" or "#" that I'm aware of, and the Rotatone has an easy way to send those DTMF.

Anyway...just wanted to pass along that this XLink BTTN thing is getting better and better.

The Bluetooth signal, by the way, is being provided by an iPhone 5 that is hooked up to an AT&T MicroCell.  So we can add that to the list of things that work perfectly well.

:-)
Annoying new poster.