News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

495CT Subset

Started by HarrySmith, August 14, 2018, 04:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I was prowling eBay and came across an auction for a subset with cow bells on it. Listed as a 495CT ringer box. Interesting. The thing that caught my eye was inside the door. It has 3 different diagrams on it and the top one is X'ed out. It looks like this poor little box has been resurrected 4 times! Talk about maximizing return!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273407576507
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

Yeah, def a hack job.
good thing is, it will look great cleaned up.
and you can do what ever you want with it, without the purists cryin wolf!

Sargeguy

Yikes!  That one has been around the block a few times.  Looks similar to a 495A, I think I might have one of these somewhere.  Looks like someone tried to strip the paint then decided it wasn't worth it. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

I do not think it is a hack job but rather a WE conversion. The big black X over the wiring diagram is what they did when they upgraded a set plus it is stamped with the "new" model number. WE was great at recyling & reusing equipment!

My thought exactly about stripping it. I was reading the description where he says "looks good" and I had to chuckle.

I think it is an interseting set. Is that a tube in it? What would the application be?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

looks more like an electrolytic cap???
maybe kludge is more appropriate than hack?

poplar1

Probably started out as a 295-A (sidetone). Converted to a 495-type (anti-sidetone). T is probably for a cold cathode tube used for 4-party selective ringing.* Tube appears to have been replaced with a capacitor. (No ringing capacitor is used when tube is present.)

Definitely a "conversion" done at the WE repair Shop. Cow bells won't fit in a 684-type subset (Bakelite or plastic cover).

*Bell used this method of "superimposed ringing" on many multi-party lines, rather than the frequency selective ringers we all hate to find in Automatic Electric, Kellogg, Stromberg-Carlson and North phones.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Poplar1 is correct as to the set's original purpose.    See the T.C.I. Library and do a "Google Search" for C31.122 1956.     Click on the first listing.

Jeff Lamb