News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Scrap" Telephones

Started by zenithchromacolor, February 20, 2017, 08:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenithchromacolor

Some older items in this group, but sale is limited to "Certified Equipment Dealers & Recyclers"

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all,il/auction/view?auc=1791182

andre_janew

There are some WE 554s in that group.  So that's how some companies and government organizations get rid of their old equipment!

TelePlay

Quote from: zenithchromacolor on February 20, 2017, 08:01:33 PM
Some older items in this group, but sale is limited to "Certified Equipment Dealers & Recyclers"

While this pile of junk is being sold by the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority), it looks like they are doing something their legal department recommended to cover their liability by selling only to a recycler that has applied for and received a government approved recycler's permit to deal with RoHS (EU) and EWRA (CA) laws. RoHS was the first to be implemented and followed a few years later by California. And as we who live in the states who own lawn mowers, clothes washers and many other items which have made life much more easy in the past, the strict California imposed sanctions and directives spread across the US.

This pile of junk is filled with the stuff prohibited by R0HS regulations and to make sure the items do not fall into the "wrong" hands, and possibly cause a physical injury to someone, the CTA is being advised to sell it to a legal "approved" recycling facility to make sure the stated RoHS and now EWRA stated hazardous compounds.

The hazardous items under RoHS are:  Lead (Pb); Mercury (Hg); Cadmium (Cd); Hexavalent chromium (Cr6+); Polybrominated biphenyls (PBB); Polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE); Bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP); Butyl benzyl phthalate (BBP); Dibutyl phthalate (DBP); and Diisobutyl phthalate (DIBP) as used in Large household appliances; Small household appliances; IT & Telecommunications Equipment (although infrastructure equipment is exempt in some countries); Consumer equipment, Lighting equipment—including light bulbs; Electronic and electrical tools; Toys, leisure, and sports equipment; Medical devices (exemption removed in July 2011); Monitoring and control instruments (exemption removed in July 2011); Automatic dispensers; and Semiconductor devices.

Old phone equipment falls into that. Now, this is a pile of stuff, not a one of, so sale and shipment of one telephone by a private citizen does not come under these regulations, IIRC.

Is this real? Yes it is. California passed the Electronic Waste Recycling Act of 2003 (EWRA) and this law prohibits the sale of electronic devices after January 1, 2007 that are prohibited from being sold under the EU RoHS directive. You will see big sellers on eBay selling new items with the claim that they do not contain RoHS components. But, the EWRA had a much narrower scope that included LCDs, CRTs. As such, I in Wisconsin can not put electrical items in the trash and the city only collects such items once or twice a year by taking it to a city collection point and paying a fee. There are commercial companies that will pick up a TV or computer, etc, for real money for each item ($20-$40 each).

Not taking a side, one way or the other, but my dungeon now has well over $200 in items I can get rid of without paying a fee to a commercial recycler. Just the way it is, today, February 21st, 2017.

Correct me if I'm wrong or misstated anything. My memory grows weaker with old age. To me, it seems the CTA is just playing it law suit safe.

TelePlay

To continue on Prop 65 in California addressing RoHS content, I found this at the bottom of an eBay listing for used nuts and screws:

"PROP. 65 WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm."

These were just used nuts, bolts and washers rescued from, in this cases, watches. Seems the seller was playing it safe in the same way as I sleep better by not cheating on my income taxes.

So, if a member in any one of the other 56 states puts a phone on eBay and it is shipped to California, what legal liabilities does or can one come under with respect to shipping an "untested" phone to California if the above was not stated in the eBay description listing.

I've seen statements as to RoHS compliant products from manufactures or major distributors but never from a seller offering used parts. The RoHS compliant to date, has been for brand new products. These are used parts. This is a first for me to see this and was wondering of any arm chair lawyers on the forum would like to comment on this, whether to include it or not.

The easiest way to play it safe is to put into the description that you will not sell to (deliver to) a California address . . .  8)  But then, what happens in California usually spreads to all states (how much do you like your washer/dryer/lawnmower/leaf blower, etc).

AL_as_needed

"PROP. 65 WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm."

Oddly enough, I do believe this is also at the bottom of my birth certificate.....guess I'm not allowed in CA.

But in all seriousness; this is one of those measures that, while well meaning, is far too complex and wide a subject for its supporters to fully comprehend. Yes, many compounds are dangerous when ingested or exposed to very very high concentrations, can we eliminate all of these dangers? Nope.... If we want our live styles to be blessed with the wonders of technology, we simply have to live with some of these risks. Well, off to the store in my Ford Nucleon..... ::)
TWinbrook7

AE_Collector

Here in British Columbia Canada we have electronic recycling depots where we can drop off anything electronic and many electrical items at no charge in order to keep them out of the waste stream and ensure they are recycled.

We have always had drink container deposits here so these depots are privately run, usually they were originally (and still are) deposit refund centres that now also take electronics. Many now will also take the items we can put in curb side collection IE other plastic containers, glass and metal containers and they take plastic bags and styrofoam for recycling as well. Curbside collection won't take those last two items.

These depots are paid for from a government fund that is paid for by small fees on beverages and electronics when we purchase them. Overall (in my opinion) not a bad system to make us all responsible for what we purchase and its ultimate recycling at end of life.

Terry