"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500/502

Started by Dan/Panther, March 12, 2009, 01:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 15, 2009, 02:55:45 AM
Smart ass, I was going to mention the card, but it came with the phone and I just left it alone.
Doesn't anything ever get by this group ?

D/P

HEY, that's the wrong number card ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

Quote from: BDM on March 15, 2009, 08:18:02 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 15, 2009, 02:55:45 AM
Smart ass, I was going to mention the card, but it came with the phone and I just left it alone.
Doesn't anything ever get by this group ?

D/P

HEY, that's the wrong number card ;D

OK, OK, I'll change the darn thing, but if I stratch the ring, or finger wheel getting it ou t,someones going to pay....

Ralph, The phones are 100% WE, made for the Miltary, and they have little extra requirememnts, like Tropicalized. No big deal, but corrosion won't be a major problem with them.
Anyone else know more details. Richard Marsh told me, they are just better built phones, and the only difference I can see is the Signal Corp markings at the handhold area.
The clear plungers are original, unless someone just wanted them and changed them. I was told 54/500 came with black, I don't know if Signal Corp. is an exception ?
I just put SC for Signal Corp., but I thought that would just confuse everyone.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

O.K. I hope this makes everyone happy.
D/P

bingster

= DARRIN =

BDM

Consider yourself lucky!! Kellogg tagging a W.E., seeessh! That's an insult to all who own Kellogg telephones :o :P ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

Was that Kellogg card an original, Dan??  Brian, it could be the other way around.  That Kellogg card could be an insult to Western Electric. 

bingster

A thought just occurred to me... Maybe the phone didn't have it's dial card replaced.  Maybe... Stay with me here... Maybe the dial card had it's phone replaced. ;D
= DARRIN =

McHeath

QuoteA thought just occurred to me... Maybe the phone didn't have it's dial card replaced.  Maybe... Stay with me here... Maybe the dial card had it's phone replaced

I think you hit the nail on the head!  D/P, put that dial card back and then replace the phone around it.   ;)

Call us when you are done.

Dan/Panther

Turns out the card is original.
I made some dial cards myself, as the ones for reproducing just won't size and maintain clarity, so I changed it with one I made.

D/P

BDM

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 16, 2009, 09:01:13 AM
Was that Kellogg card an original, Dan??  Brian, it could be the other way around.  That Kellogg card could be an insult to Western Electric. 

True true, darn W.E. will end up working properly as long as that card is installed ;D ;D 8) :P
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

rp2813

I think this thread explains a 302 I saw in an antique co-op recently.  It looked 100% WE but had the SC branding on it, I am pretty sure.  It had super late F1 handset elements, like 1963 or something, and a mounting cord with more than four leads.
Ralph

BDM

Quote from: rp2813 on March 17, 2009, 08:07:47 PM
I think this thread explains a 302 I saw in an antique co-op recently.  It looked 100% WE but had the SC branding on it, I am pretty sure.  It had super late F1 handset elements, like 1963 or something, and a mounting cord with more than four leads.

To the casual observer, the SC 1243 looks very much like a 302.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

rp2813

Oh yeah, I had a Stromberg Carlson, probably a 1243, as my main phone back in the late 70's.  I liked the sound of the gongs on that phone.  I don't know how to describe them, other than somewhat less business-like than the ring of a 302.

The phone I saw in the shop wasn't a Stromberg Carlson.  It definitely had "Signal" in its brand name and looked identical to a WE 302 but I didn't know anything about what that meant until Dan posted this thread.  You can learn something every day on this forum!

Ralph
Ralph

BDM

My 1243 has a VERY loud ringer. It's also higher in over all frequency.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

rp2813

Yeah, I guess I meant to say the SC had a more pleasing and polite ring to it.  Just as loud as a WE 302 but more refined somehow. 
Ralph