News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

So I VESA Mounted a Payphone

Started by Protel8000, September 27, 2018, 10:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Protel8000

I am still trying to find the pedestal mount version of the old Fortec enclosure. So far I have only been able to get a wall mount version, which has no way to accommodate a pedestal.

So I had an idea: Would it be possible to mount my wall mount onto something else?

Then I had an idea: VESA Mounts. I added up the weight of the enclosure plus payphone, and found a VESA mount on wheels designed for flat panel TVs. I settled on one that was fairly adjustable and had good reviews. I used 4 bolts on the enclosure, along with washers and nuts to secure the enclosure to the VESA mounts that came with the stand.

Photos are attached to this post. It could still use some tweaking, but it was surprisingly more straight forward than I anticipated and it seems pretty stable, likely due to the nature of the mount being designed to accommodate heavy weight Plasma TVs and such.

Sorry that the photos aren't that great, limited on space at the moment.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: 555-1212 on September 27, 2018, 10:52:40 PM
I am still trying to find the pedestal mount version of the old Fortec enclosure. So far I have only been able to get a wall mount version, which has no way to accommodate a pedestal.

So I had an idea: Would it be possible to mount my wall mount onto something else?

Then I had an idea: VESA Mounts. I added up the weight of the enclosure plus payphone, and found a VESA mount on wheels designed for flat panel TVs. I settled on one that was fairly adjustable and had good reviews. I used 4 bolts on the enclosure, along with washers and nuts to secure the enclosure to the VESA mounts that came with the stand.

Photos are attached to this post. It could still use some tweaking, but it was surprisingly more straight forward than I anticipated and it seems pretty stable, likely due to the nature of the mount being designed to accommodate heavy weight Plasma TVs and such.

Sorry that the photos aren't that great, limited on space at the moment.

I really like the booth.
I think what you need is a pedestal that accommodates a wall mount. I think most pedestals do. If they don't you could drill a pedestal to match.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Protel8000

Hmm, that could work. I know most of the pedestals I've seen are already recessed with the cutouts for directly mounting the phone to it. The back of my enclosure is completely flat, so it would likely need some modification to be able to reach far enough to hold on to something in the pedestal. The version they made for pedestals was cut out like a regular L31 style and was more rounded at the top and bottom.

Fortec still has their website up with some information on these, or at least they did as of a few weeks ago. I actually sent them an e-mail but was told they shut down operations last year and had no inventory left.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: 555-1212 on September 27, 2018, 11:29:27 PM
Hmm, that could work. I know most of the pedestals I've seen are already recessed with the cutouts for directly mounting the phone to it. The back of my enclosure is completely flat, so it would likely need some modification to be able to reach far enough to hold on to something in the pedestal. The version they made for pedestals was cut out like a regular L31 style and was more rounded at the top and bottom.

Fortec still has their website up with some information on these, or at least they did as of a few weeks ago. I actually sent them an e-mail but was told they shut down operations last year and had no inventory left.
I have always assumed that most boothettes are recessed for the phone and the stand is straight. Payphone Installer any comments?
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.