News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2500 keypad question.

Started by Mr. Bones, January 05, 2013, 12:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Scenario: I have a 6/99 Cortelco 250000-MBA-20 that is currently the only touchtone I own for copper pair use. Occasionally, like many of us, I need to have this for banking, etc. over the phone.

The keypad of this phone has the entire center (2-5-8-0) vertical row of buttons inoperative, so I am looking for a handy solution.

Are these keypads readily available? Do they interchange between WE, and other 2500's? I have no number off the keypad, since I haven't opened it up for a while, but can readily supply one, if needed.

Thanks in advance, as always, for your assistance.
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WesternElectricBen

I think you could try to throw in a keypad. There is no harm in trying.
Ben

twocvbloke

When I compared the Cortelco 2554 pad with my NE keypads, the wiring wasn't entirely the same (different colours mainly), so, I'm not entirely sure if they can be swapped straight over... ???

The pad in your phone might just have a cracked solder joint, being a PCB affair that gets bent when pressed could cause such a problem, just nees stripping down and checking over, or just get an original 2500 to use for touchtone services... :D

Mr. Bones

Good Morning, and thanks for the replies, Gentlemen.

Quote from: WesternElectricMcCabe on January 05, 2013, 10:42:58 AM
Ben

Ben,
     Sadly, I have no other keypad to experiment with. I rather hate to order one, and find that it is incompatible.

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 05, 2013, 10:54:52 AM
When I compared the Cortelco 2554 pad with my NE keypads, the wiring wasn't entirely the same (different colours mainly), so, I'm not entirely sure if they can be swapped straight over... ???

The pad in your phone might just have a cracked solder joint, being a PCB affair that gets bent when pressed could cause such a problem, just nees stripping down and checking over, or just get an original 2500 to use for touchtone services... :D

twocvbloke,

You were on my mind this morning, before I read these replies to my post. I was earlier looking through some of your postings, after searching 2500 on the forum.

I would much prefer to have a WE 2500, have to keep watch for one.

I am trying to keep this as close as possible to a £0/0d project as is practical, but, perhaps, to use your quote (Thanks !!! for the early morning laugh, by the way; nearly snotted coffee all over my keyboard and screen ;D): I may well be "polishing unwanted effluent."

I shall bide my time a bit,; perhaps some of our esteemed members will chime in with wiring / compatibility knowledge, based upon their experiences. Might be that somebody has a 'binner' Cortelco they could bear to part with, as well. Or, at least, a keypad.

For now, I shall 'endeavour to persevere', utilize my freebie work-around (Uniden cordless touchtone / repurposed as a TT dialer), and soldier on, until a solution presents itself.
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

twocvbloke

Quote from: Mr. Bones on January 05, 2013, 11:55:38 AMbut, perhaps, to use your quote (Thanks !!! for the early morning laugh, by the way; nearly snotted coffee all over my keyboard and screen ;D): I may well be "polishing unwanted effluent."

hehe, I aim to please, just make sure you're aim is not the computer.... :D

poplar1

MrBones, even though the dials may have a different number of leads and different colors, the networks are the same, except that the spare terminals may be labeled differently (T and S or E1 and E2). So if you have a different Touch-Tone dial you would just have to wire it according to the diagram for the phone it was originally installed in.

Even two Western Electric dials are wired differently--the 35-type and the later 72-type.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Mr. Bones on January 05, 2013, 11:55:38 AM
Good Morning, and thanks for the replies, Gentlemen.

Quote from: WesternElectricMcCabe on January 05, 2013, 10:42:58 AM
Ben

Ben,
     Sadly, I have no other keypad to experiment with. I rather hate to order one, and find that it is incompatible.

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 05, 2013, 10:54:52 AM

twocvbloke,

You were on my mind this morning, before I read these replies to my post. I was earlier looking through some of your postings, after searching 2500 on the forum.

I would much prefer to have a WE 2500, have to keep watch for one.

I am trying to keep this as close as possible to a £0/0d project as is practical, but, perhaps, to use your quote (Thanks !!! for the early morning laugh, by the way; nearly snotted coffee all over my keyboard and screen ;D): I may well be "polishing unwanted effluent."

I shall bide my time a bit,; perhaps some of our esteemed members will chime in with wiring / compatibility knowledge, based upon their experiences. Might be that somebody has a 'binner' Cortelco they could bear to part with, as well. Or, at least, a keypad.

For now, I shall 'endeavour to persevere', utilize my freebie work-around (Uniden cordless touchtone / repurposed as a TT dialer), and soldier on, until a solution presents itself.

Ah, ok, I would have just stolen one from another touch tone phone. (if you have one)
Ben

Mr. Bones

Quote from: poplar1 on January 05, 2013, 05:11:48 PM
MrBones, even though the dials may have a different number of leads and different colors, the networks are the same, except that the spare terminals may be labeled differently (T and S or E1 and E2). So if you have a different Touch-Tone dial you would just have to wire it according to the diagram for the phone it was originally installed in.

Even two Western Electric dials are wired differently--the 35-type and the later 72-type.

poplar1,

Thank you, sir.

This is a good start on exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I'm certainly not afraid to experiment with a transplant, (Magic Smoke be hanged), but I have no donor.

Although the Cortelco I have is a very attractive, near-NOS specimen, I would rather have a WE 2500 for the solidity, parts availability, and 'cool factor'.

This is what I have to work with, at present, though.

My place of employment (21 yrs+ on 28JAN13) has destroyed scores of these before my eyes, mostly dark brown with flash button, when they recently moved from the 1980's, and got 'modern' phones (from the '90's lol). I wish now I had surreptitiously  grabbed several for donors, etc. Bear in mind, it is the self-proclaimed 'Leading Technological Institution in the state'.

WOW! :o, I'd hate to see the Runner-ups.

It can be challenging, working at an institution of 'Higher Learning'. ;D

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus