News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 cord

Started by Kenny C, May 24, 2010, 11:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I replaced the cord on my 302 with a cord from 1956 and when ever i move the line much the sound gets quieter and alot of static comes accross the line any tips on what i did wrong
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Maybe the 1956 cord is bad, do you know whether it was a good cord or not?
-Bill G

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

Like Bill suggests, first make sure your cord is  a good one. Run continuity checks and wiggle the wires while testing them.
Next take out the elements and clean the contact surfaces, firmly tap the edge of the transmitter element on a hard table, or surface to loosen up the carbon particles, and also slightly pull up on the contacts in the handset, and clean them off also.
Make sure your connections are very snug, but don't over do it, those screws will snap off. If you are using a modular cord for a line cord, try another one.
If that doesn't fix it just send it to me, I'll take it of your hands.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

the cord may be bad and i am not using a modular

Are you trying to pull something D/P ;D ;)
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

Why Kenny, I'm wounded to the very core to think, that you would think, that I would think, about thinking up a thing like that.
I was just volunteering to remove any unneeded stress in your life. Of course you pay shipping. That is the least you could do for all the relief you would be gaining.
D/P

Doug Rose

Kenny ...also make sure your screw terminal connections are tight on the handset and inside the phone. My guess is your cord is bad. Before adding a part to a phone, I always make certain it is a good working part. Visually parts can look perfect, but when installed, they are not. This is a 54 year old part.......good luck....Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

i am just using that cord until i get a cloth one.

oh ok D/P i understand :D ;)
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Kenny,
Basic trouble shooting, if you have a cord and get static, it is a cord issue.  Check and tighten the connections, then check for static. If the static  is gone then it was a loose connection. If present, it is probably a bad cord.

This is a quick and dirty cord test.

File it under "troubleshooting shortcuts".

A good set of cords and "jumpers" will also speed up troubleshooting.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

More than a few times I've put new spade connector on the ends of a cord, and didn't have continuity.
D/P

Kenny C

Stub1953 called today and he helped me the diagnosis is a bad cord i plan on getting a cloth one to put on  it.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

Kenny;
You might try using a small pair of long nosed pliers to gently squeeze the center tab a little tighter on the end of the spade connectors. It may help if it's a loose connector.
D/P